What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guinness
47E57A59-9F26-4238-AD85-82862167D7AA.jpeg

Once you start kegging, you'll never go back.
Probably very true. I know I will still bottle some things since I enjoy wide variety and am a smaller batch brewer. I havent had time to brew the last few months, but will have a stand alone brewery in the house we are moving to next month. Thats when the kegging and real fun begins.

Keep us posted
Good luck! I really enjoyed the sample you sent me, it should do well.
Guten Gluck!
Take home any hardware?
I finally found the results from yesterday's HB comp. The score sheets and comments aren't available yet, but I do know the score for each beer. I got a 3rd place medal with my German Pilsner with a 41 score. My Schwarzbier, which I thought would kick butt, only scored a 26. The NEIPA that I pushed to get there got a 35 and there were 19 entries in that category. I'm pretty pumped about my Pilsner. I'm really curious to see the score sheets to see what my problems were with the other 2 beers.

I finally found the results from yesterday's HB comp. The score sheets and comments aren't available yet, but I do know the score for each beer. I got a 3rd place medal with my German Pilsner with a 41 score. My Schwarzbier, which I thought would kick butt, only scored a 26. The NEIPA that I pushed to get there got a 35 and there were 19 entries in that category. I'm pretty pumped about my Pilsner. I'm really curious to see the score sheets to see what my problems were with the other 2 beers.
Great scores on the Pilsner and NEIPA. That Pilsner category was stacked man, gotta assume gold took a 43 or better.

Very interested to hear the comments on the schwarzbier. I scored similar with mine this past spring. Got knocked for esters and too much roast

[/QUOTE Nothing wrong with your Schwartz bier. You have to remember people's personal taste in any given category is just that...personal taste. One person's poison is another person's nectar. Just because 4 or 5 people on one panel think a product should taste this way or that way doesn't mean people on another panel are going to feel the same way. It's like movie or food critics....ive never understood the need for them. Their taste has NOTHING to do with yours nor their preferences. In 40 years my preferred beers have been dark European beer. I'm a pretty good judge after 40 years of a good dark beer based on my preference. And although Schwartz bier is a tad dry and acrid for my personal taste, I prefer sweet and malty , I've had enough of them to know yours is Damn good for the style. So take heart Bucco , not every judge is worthy of judging. Just like in law, people may be trained to be open minded but there is ALWAYS that taint of inner prejudice based on personal likes and dislikes...we're human. The Pilsner you sent is my last sample. Been saving it and can't wait to taste it !!!

HB’d White Sangria inspired farmhouse ale - ABV 6.2%. Fermented with a mix of saison yeast, Blend of brett strains, and lactobacillus. Aged on white grapes, mango purée, passionfruit purée, Orange zest, French oak spirals, and dryhoped with Nelson
F813AEBD-C74A-44C0-BF6D-9F3F5A545F0A.jpeg

Last edited:
It's my favorite!!! A lot of people dump on it, but I really enjoy it. I like the Draught and Extra Stout equally well.
Sláinte
I'm hoping to do a decent clone someday. I'm not a clone recipe guy but that's a challenge I'd like to attempt. I'll need to get nitro but I wanted to do that anyway.

I'm hoping to do a decent clone someday. I'm not a clone recipe guy but that's a challenge I'd like to attempt. I'll need to get nitro but I wanted to do that anyway.
I've been trying to clone it for many years now. Still haven't had a batch where I say "this is it!". It actually seems like the harder I try, the farther away I get. I have a batch I'm drinking now that is just barely drinkable... but I choke it down. There's something "special" there that I just can't duplicate. Good luck when you try. Nitro is a fun setup.

I've been trying to clone it for many years now. Still haven't had a batch where I say "this is it!". It actually seems like the harder I try, the farther away I get. I have a batch I'm drinking now that is just barely drinkable... but I choke it down. There's something "special" there that I just can't duplicate. Good luck when you try. Nitro is a fun setup.
I've heard they add a small percentage of old soured beer to each new batch. Something like that anyway. I can't remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway... I guess it's one of the reasons it's so hard to reproduce.

I've heard they add a small percentage of old soured beer to each new batch. Something like that anyway. I can't remember where I heard that so take it with a grain of salt. Anyway... I guess it's one of the reasons it's so hard to reproduce.
That's certainly one of the "tricks" I've read about. I've tried it several different ways and can't tell if it makes a difference, YMMV. I think the base beer must be spot on and I don't think I've ever gotten it correct. I think the "Guinness" flavor has everything to do with the flavor extract they produce and add to the base beer. We'll never know what it is, let alone ever reproduce the flavor. I just need to focus on making a good tasting dry stout and be happy with it and quit screwing around.

That's certainly one of the "tricks" I've read about. I've tried it several different ways and can't tell if it makes a difference, YMMV. I think the base beer must be spot on and I don't think I've ever gotten it correct. I think the "Guinness" flavor has everything to do with the flavor extract they produce and add to the base beer. We'll never know what it is, let alone ever reproduce the flavor. I just need to focus on making a good tasting dry stout and be happy with it and quit screwing around.
I agree. Just do what you know how to do and maybe make something even better. That's definitely the right approach.:bigmug:

A new one from sloop. A collaboration with Yakima Chief Ranches to celebrate their new hop contract of Idaho 7. Really nice orange/herbal profile but not sure it’s a stand alone hop. Could see it working great with Citra and Amarillo
E12E84D7-4EC2-45BB-B4E8-085E3458C8BF.jpeg

This collab involved Vitamine Sea. I’ve never had their stuff before this. The best TGoliath I’ve had. Nelson always brings something extra.
VSB is by far the first brewery I recommend on people asking for "other" MA breweries. Close to Boston, just a short drive from Trills southern location, another small brewery next door and a bunch of genuinely good people. They're pretty well known around the world with other breweries.

They do a lot for the South Shore community too. Head brewer and crew is always talking with customers and on days off you always see him at the beach with the family.

Interesting story too. Started off with a cooler on the front lawn trading HB

OT: their neighbor.
IMG_20210926_162519.jpg

Lots of great posts here today and congrats to @camonick for the scores! This one is new to me. Live in NC and was in Rocky Mount for a swim meet with the kids and stopped by Rocky Mount mills where HopFly and some nice restaurants are along with a cool bottle shop. Was shocked to see this at the bottle shop! My first time having any Jack's Abby beers and even my wife who doesn't YET appreciate lagers liked this one. Im guessing this is more of a festbier but I really dig the rich/smooth maltiness that is present all the way through to the tight crisp finish. Canning date which I checked given the distance to NC was 2 months ago (7/21/21), but was "supposedly" kept cold the entire time. Really like this. Couldn't find any good lighting since the sun was going down but its a very nice copper and perfectly clear color.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

Lots of great posts here today and congrats to @camonick for the scores! This one is new to me. Live in NC and was in Rocky Mount for a swim meet with the kids and stopped by Rocky Mount mills where HopFly and some nice restaurants are along with a cool bottle shop. Was shocked to see this at the bottle shop! My first time having any Jack's Abby beers and even my wife who doesn't YET appreciate lagers liked this one. Im guessing this is more of a festbier but I really dig the rich/smooth maltiness that is present all the way through to the tight crisp finish. Canning date which I checked given the distance to NC was 2 months ago (7/21/21), but was "supposedly" kept cold the entire time. Really like this. Couldn't find any good lighting since the sun was going down but its a very nice copper and perfectly clear color.

View attachment 743744

View attachment 743745
I ordered this beer not long ago from a place we went to that advertises brick oven pizza and 44 beers on tap. The pizza was fantastic. The waitress brought this and upon tasting it I almost spit it out. I called her back and told her I did not order pumpkin beer. She said there was only one octoberfest and that was it. Is it me, or does this beer have flavors of nutmeg and spice?

I ordered this beer not long ago from a place we went to that advertises brick oven pizza and 44 beers on tap. The pizza was fantastic. The waitress brought this and upon tasting it I almost spit it out. I called her back and told her I did not order pumpkin beer. She said there was only one octoberfest and that was it. Is it me, or does this beer have flavors of nutmeg and spice?
My palate is always "in training" lol but I typically feel like I could pick up the nutmeg spice character - my wife does like those pumpkin beers. I really don't get nutmeg in this at all but again, my palate isn't too sophisticated lol.

I had one earlier this week. I would say no way. Tasted like a typical German beer to me. Def possible you got the wrong pour, especially if they had 44 taps lol

I had one earlier this week. I would say no way. Tasted like a typical German beer to me. Def possible you got the wrong pour, especially if they had 44 taps lol
OK good this makes me feel better. Im drinking this now and after @bwible reply Im trying to detect it and can't lol. Its got a great malty richness to it to me with no "spice".

Back