What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
Night cap. Went into the basement at our vacation house a few times today (which has been over run by the kids) and was surprised to hear the teens listening to Led Zeppelin , Dire Straits, and Guns and Roses on my various trips down there. I guess certain music is timeless.

My wife knows this one as "Gandalf beer." Works for me. She's also aware of Dragon's Milk, KBS, Boulevard barrel-aged stout and Dragonsmead (a local Belgian style). She can go to any store in the metro Detroit area and pick up a beer she knows I'll like. Lucky.
Random note: Ran out of Seventh Generation dishwasher powder so trying some of those packs without a scent.
Second random note: while sharpening the chef knife with a stone, is there a way to avoid scratching the facing of the blade? Got it sharp as all get out but I marred the facing.
gandalf beer.jpg

Picked this up in Billings yesterday. I’ve liked most of the beers that I’ve tried from this brewery. This one-not so much. Label says “brewed with wheat and rye“ and a smaller label says “crafted to reduce gluten”. Whatever. Tastes like cardboard.

946DA3CA-A506-470D-88A1-7AA84BA24CEC.jpeg

This was surprisingly one of my top picks on my extended road trip after trying many beers. It’s a brewery out of Murrietta, CA. They are definitely pushing the boundary of DH but this one had an amazing aroma, great flavor, and a clean finish. DH w Mosaic/Simcoe/El Dorado and I’m getting crazy tropical aromatics.
It’s interesting to note that all of my top 5 beer picks from Anchorage, Monkish, Casa Agria and 8 bit had yeast sediment in the cans.
4E3D7951-2A98-41C6-8B53-C5E759FB4549.jpeg

155943E5-F0FF-42B9-B2AD-0C231876E9EB.jpeg
Finally sitting down and relaxing. Ran the girls to dance after dinner tonight, did the weekly grocery shopping and picked up my order from Home Depot too. Then finished the floor repair after getting back. Now some olympics and this TIPA from @TheDudeLebowski while breaking in a new glass.

Good luck on that Altbier @grampamark ! Brewed a nice maibock in April .. Altbier is somewhat similar I take it?

What yeast are you pitching with that? Could an altbier work with Voss Kveik?
An Altbier is, essentially, a cold fermented ale. I’m using US-05 @60° F. At final gravity I drop it to 35° and leave it for a week, or so. It’s a lager-like beer which I like this time of year. A darker beer which isn’t sweet or heavy. My recipe is hopped to about 35 IBU (Magnum and Willamette) and finishes around 4.5%. A nice balance between the malt and hops.

I’ve never used Kviek. I’d guess you could brew an Alt with it as long as you could “lager” it long enough to develop the crisp, lager like quality which makes the style different from, say, an Amber Ale.

Back