What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hb 1st attemped at a NEIPA.
She's pretty muddy.
20190424_175909.jpg

Carbonation is good, that was unexpected. Still, something missing and has a weird aftertaste, not as juicy as I was hopping.
I'll mark this one down as a FAIL.

Last edited:
Luckily I have 5 kegerators (expecting to have an additional 2 or 3 this year). One is currently empty getting ready to ferment three lagers. One is used for yeast, flasks and bottles. One keeps 10 gallons of salt water un-frozen at 19F for quickly chilling down new brews (cheaper than buying ice). One is for lagering and/or where initial secondaries go. Last is for beer and soda water dispensing. Need the other 2 or 3 to have more flexibility.

I can't read the label - what city is the Barley Wine from? Just submitted English Barleywine to Chico 2019 also.

How do you like that tap at 1g. That's my plan have taps just haven't drilled yet.
Probably should have gone lower. I tip the bucket and clean beer still comes out after a cold crash anyway. Nice to ellminate a need to rack or can simply bottle from the taps with a bottling wand.

What was your recipe?
New England IPA

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.061 FG = 1.012
IBU = 56 SRM = 5 ABV = 6.5%

Ingredients

7.2 lbs. (3.3 kg) pale liquid malt extract
1 lb. (454 g) dried wheat or weizen malt extract
12.9 AAU Amarillo[emoji2400] hops (first wort hop) (1.5 oz./43 g at 8.6% alpha acids)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Amarillo[emoji2400] hops (0 min.)
1 oz. (28 g) Citra[emoji2400] hops (hop stand)
1 oz. (28 g) GalaxyTM hops (hop stand)
1 oz. (28 g) Mosaic[emoji2400] hops (hop stand)
3 oz. (85 g) Citra[emoji2400] hops (dry hop)
1.5 oz. (43 g) GalaxyTM hops (dry hop)
1.5 oz. (43 g) Mosaic[emoji2400] hops (dry hop)
GigaYeast GY054 (Vermont IPA) or White Labs WLP095 (Burlington Ale) yeast
3⁄4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step

Use 6 gallons (23 L) of water in the brew kettle; heat to 158 °F (70 °C). Add the malt extracts and stir thoroughly to dissolve the extract completely. You do not want to feel liquid extract at the bottom of the kettle when stirring with your spoon. Turn the heat back on and bring to a boil.

Boil the wort for 60 minutes, adding the hops at times indicated. The first wort hops are added to the kettle just after the malt extract is dissolved but before bringing to a boil. The 0 minute hops get added right after the heat is turned off. Stir the wort gently and allow to cool to 180 °F (82 °C) then add the hop stand hops. Allow to stand for 20 minutes then chill to 64 °F (18 °C) and rack to the fermenter.

Oxygenate, then pitch the yeast. Start fermentation at 64 °F (18 °C), allowing temperature to rise naturally as fermentation progresses. Mix the dry hops and divide into three equal portions. The first portion gets added after two days of active fermentation. The second portion gets added at the end of fermentation. The third portion gets added three days after fermentation ends. Allow each dry hop addition to be in contact with the beer for two to three days, then remove.

Rack the beer, prime and bottle condition, or keg and force carbonate to 2.5 volumes. Do not filter or fine the beer.

Back