What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridire said:
No need for apologies. I've watched my team play in the World Series twice in the past 6 years...and 3 times in my life. You'd have to be pretty old to say that as a Bucco fan. (I'd add a winkie face if I knew how).

Nice! Btw, a winkie face is this, without the space between the two. ; )

And I'm only one year away from seeing my buccos in a World Series. Though I still wouldn't have remembered it.

tyzippers said:
Nice! Btw, a winkie face is this, without the space between the two. ; )

And I'm only one year away from seeing my buccos in a World Series. Though I still wouldn't have remembered it.

Pirates are having a great year. I remember the Dave Parker years with the painter hats.

Surly isn't even on there?

There's a lot of omissions on that list...I could name 3 breweries in San Diego Alone that aren't on the list but should be...and no Hill Farmstead? I know everybody is harping on DFH @ #1 and deservedly so...I also think it's a joke to have Victory anywhere on a top 25 list. They don't do anything that I think is special.

Ridire said:
Pirates are having a great year. I remember the Dave Parker years with the painter hats.

They certainly are having a great year this year and I damn anyone who wants to take away my joy of this great year.

At any rate, I was talking about being born in '80. 5 months earlier and I would've been around for their last WS appearance, let alone win.

Also, on my second pour of my Lucky 13.

Channel66 said:
For JD? It twas what they sent me, had their logo burnt onto it.

The wine barrel is 78 or something. Btw, before it's full, make sure it's where you want it.

I didn't know JD used 1/2 bbls. Interesting. Standard wine is 62.

image-1212504836.jpg

Blackberry Berliner going in the bottling bucket, NG wild sour on deck.

I didn't know JD used 1/2 bbls. Interesting. Standard wine is 62.

Blackberry Berliner going in the bottling bucket, NG wild sour on deck.

Maybe small batch stuff? Maybe I got ripped off, either way I have a 31 gallon whiskey barrel and a ginormius French oak 79 gallon that was used for sauv blanc. Which is what I used it for before I used it for my farmhouse ale (remind me to send you some)

Having a quart mug of fresh Skeeter Pee. And btw that list everyone's talking about is from a site called The Daily Meal. Several people just ragged em hardcore on their FB page after it came out (including me) telling them how much of a joke it was and they don't know $hit about craft beer. Their writers came up with the "nominations" and FB people voted on it. All it proved was who out of the group had a better known name or bigger distribution. Total crap.

ForumRunner_20130801_230757.jpg

Maybe small batch stuff? Maybe I got ripped off, either way I have a 31 gallon whiskey barrel and a ginormius French oak 79 gallon that was used for sauv blanc. Which is what I used it for before I used it for my farmhouse ale (remind me to send you some)

I can do that. :D Maybe when the weather cools off we can finally trade some beers.

For my money, Bells is #1. They do so many styles so well. Granted, I haven't had beers from all the coastal breweries. But the IPA seems to be the measuring stick right now and I still say Two Hearted is the best I've ever had...and I've had Dogfish beers. Many breweries do one style very well (and right now, if you do IPA well, you're king) but Bells does dark well, they do wheat excellent (Oberon) and I think they own IPA's (Two Hearted and Hopslam). In my mind, they're the best.

I've never had a bad Bells.

And right now I'm having a 2HA

For my money, Bells is #1. They do so many styles so well. Granted, I haven't had beers from all the coastal breweries. But the IPA seems to be the measuring stick right now and I still say Two Hearted is the best I've ever had...and I've had Dogfish beers. Many breweries do one style very well (and right now, if you do IPA well, you're king) but Bells does dark well, they do wheat excellent (Oberon) and I think they own IPA's (Two Hearted and Hopslam). In my mind, they're the best.

Bells is not bad, I wouldn't say #1 but hanging out in the top 10 maybe. The fact that Larry Bell is a total utter ********* doesn't help.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Bells is not bad, I wouldn't say #1 but hanging out in the top 10 maybe. The fact that Larry Bell is a total utter ********* doesn't help.

Seemed pretty cool when I met him (15 - 16 years ago). He sold me my first homebrew kit. We were too damn stupid to use it correctly but he spent a lot of time with a gaggle of dumb college kids trying to explain it all.

Bells is really good for the money. Always good beers and for a decent price. That list though is a bit off...

For Ipa Day I have had Enkis Citric Journey ( a Pale ale but a growlers worth) Summit Saga, Flat Earth Northwest Passage and Belgian Style Pale Ale.

Seemed pretty cool when I met him (15 - 16 years ago). He sold me my first homebrew kit. We were too damn stupid to use it correctly but he spent a lot of time with a gaggle of dumb college kids trying to explain it all.

Just forgotten where he came from. Starting with suing Northern Brewer for putting together a Two Hearted clone kit. And pulled out of the Mich. Brewers Guild Festival in Ypsi a week ago 24 hrs before the start because the money was going towards the Guild fighting for microbrews to self distribute in Michigan. He felt it was political and " was a threat to his sales" Bells did show at the festival only because it would've been breach of contract had they not. I expect them to leave the Brewers Guild yet again anytime now.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Just forgotten where he came from. Starting with suing Northern Brewer for putting together a Two Hearted clone kit. And pulled out of the Mich. Brewers Guild Festival in Ypsi a week ago 24 before the start because the money was going towards the Guild fighting for microbrews to self distribute in Michigan. He felt it was political and " was a threat to his sales" Bells did show at the festival only because it would've been breach of contract had they not. I expect them to leave the Brewers Guild yet again anytime now.

The Northern thing wasn't his fault. He didn't sue about the recipe, he sued about the name...he had to. The other stuff I've never heard before.

EDIT: but Michigan needs to have self distribution laws for small brewers. The current law sucks.

DOUBLE EDIT: and do you know the history of Bells and legal fights over names? He was on the other end with his biggest seller. When I first had Oberon, it was called Solsun. Why do you suppose he'd change the name of his biggest selling beer?

I'm crossing my fingers the package you sent me gets here tomorrow I love trying new yeasts!

Wlp670 saison down to 1.010 a few days back and is still active and bubbling away.

3726 is down to 1.004 and still bubbles every 2 seconds also and is already clearing nicely. I can't wait to try both of them.

Water now and off to bed for me.

WesleyS said:
I'll be drinking one of those this weekend.

It's pretty good. Actually has malt character, hop aroma, and well integrated tartness. I really don't like the NG fruit beers, but this is quite nice.

I just spent the last 45 min fighting a keg to get a good seal after adding in the dry hops. Finally said F-it, and used about 1/4 of a tube of keg lube and all is good...

In celebration of wasting 30 min and IPA day,

image-1589129769.jpg

Pikes Peak Elephant Rock IPA.

Good stuff

I think they own IPA's (Two Hearted and Hopslam).

Hopslam is certainly a good beer...I need to try Two Hearted again. I was pretty underwhelmed when I had it, but maybe I'll have a new appreciation for it now.

Dave1096 said:
Hopslam is certainly a good beer...I need to try Two Hearted again. I was pretty underwhelmed when I had it, but maybe I'll have a new appreciation for it now.

Two Hearted > Hopslam in my opinion.

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Now having a delicious Hard Root Beer Float (8.4%) soooooo ridiculously good. You make this yet Wes?

Not yet, but really soon.

A Rye beer. Good stuff. Tomorrow I will be drinking a thai chili beer I made over a year ago that turned out wrong. Put in my closet.

I'll be having a beer in about 10 minutes. I just got off work so it's not too early for me.

Almost forgot; having coffee right now...

About to head into work and try not to melt anything or kill anyone with a diffusion pump. And I feel like a truck ran over me this morning. I need lots of coffee. Stat!

Water and tea. Getting some bread started.

I'm so jealous. A friend of mine in Ohio just bought about 120 beers for 400$. I think the people he got then from must have got the beer at a storage auction or something. 2 cases of Dark Lord, more 3 Floyd's, abyss, black butte, ccb, bruery (I saw multiple 3 French hens and a fruit), etc, etc, etc

Back