What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weekday brew, aiming for 10% wee heavy to combine with hb club in a jack Daniel's barrel. Some equilibrium to move things along.
20240305_205605.jpg

Correct 11in. Think the gears are slipping a bit. I don't really get it out as much as I'd like. Hold onto it for the retirement days to come. You own one?

Digging the ultra mild weather..

View attachment 843380
I have been looking at the advanced vx but ultimately a Schmidt casagrain is in my near future, currently using a newtonian on a manual equatorial mount that has produced great visuals for the money. Ready for an upgrade though. We got a great look at orion a week or 2 ago but the weather has not cooperated this year so far. We have a trip planned to cherry springs (pa) after school is out so hoping for some clear nights.

I have been looking at the advanced vx but ultimately a Schmidt casagrain is in my near future, currently using a newtonian on a manual equatorial mount that has produced great visuals for the money. Ready for an upgrade though. We got a great look at orion a week or 2 ago but the weather has not cooperated this year so far. We have a trip planned to cherry springs (pa) after school is out so hoping for some clear nights.

I've been looking at sun telescopes, Hydrogen Alpha, and not just because of the upcoming Eclipse which, BTW, goes right over my house! I get tired so early these days. If you get one, 8in minimum but bigger the better. Motorized GoTo is a must and in a perfect world, permanently mounted also. I had the Meade SC 10in for years but this 11in is MUCH lighter and easier to set up.

Edit, also, Winter time has the coolest $hit to look at unfortunately..no pun intended!

Bit off topic ,but I have an older co-worker who argued with me there's no such thing as outer space, or satellites, or stars or galaxies. At first I laughed but he really believes this. "Dude, I have a telescope I can see other galaxies with"..he just stood there blank faced.

Last edited:
I've been looking at sun telescopes, Hydrogen Alpha, and not just because of the upcoming Eclipse which, BTW, goes right over my house! I get tired so early these days. If you get one, 8in minimum but bigger the better. Motorized GoTo is a must and in a perfect world, permanently mounted also. I had the Meade SC 10in for years but this 11in is MUCH lighter and easier to set up.

Edit, also, Winter time has the coolest $hit to look at unfortunately..no pun intended!

Bit off topic ,but I have an older co-worker who argued with me there's no such thing as outer space, or satellites, or stars or galaxies. At first I laughed but he really believes this. "Dude, I have a telescope I can see other galaxies with"..he just stood there blank faced.
I frequently wonder what our society would be like if elementary school kids were issued scopes and taught to navigate the sky with a star wheel.

Everything changes, when you see what's out there.

I frequently wonder what our society would be like if elementary school kids were issued scopes and taught to navigate the sky with a star wheel.

Everything changes, when you see what's out there.

That's one of the greatest things I've heard as of late. Thanks!!

That's one of the greatest things I've heard as of late. Thanks!!
It's one of the most sour regrets in my life that I was only exposed to astronomy in the final semester of my senior year of undergrad.

If only I had known the wonder and the glory when I was a child.

I've pursued it ever since, there's nothing like it.

That sense of humility and awe...that sense of loneliness and the drive it inspires to help others because there's so, so, so much nothing. So much absolutely nothing, but us.

It's no wonder our society places no value on it. There's no profit in wonder, no profit in love of what we already have and who we are--much less, what we can become.

Last edited:
Some people never never get to experience the thrill. Consider yourself lucky in the undergrad years. My first experience were the dark skies out in Montana as a kid. Will never forget it. Then as undergrad took astronomy and the class was held in a planetarium. The class was incredible.

We may get a chance of seeing the eclipse up here. It's funny. The weatherman has pulled a history of the days and is forecasting 100% clouds but I'm keeping an eye on it. Spring has hit quick up here so may do some fly fishing (fingers crossed) and the eclipse.

We're also lucky we have a small patch of dark skies up here. One of my friend kids me why I disappear up there. Last summer he went up there with family. I warned them everything closes at sunset. However, get a bottle of whiskey sit on the porch and just enjoy the Milky Way and dark sky. I converted him. He loved it.

OT:
Glass of water and Advil before bed

Last edited:
It's one of the most sour regrets in my life that I was only exposed to astronomy in the final semester of my senior year of undergrad.

If only I had known the wonder and the glory when I was a child.

I've pursued it ever since, there's nothing like it.

That sense of humility and awe...that sense of loneliness and the drive it inspires to help others because there's so, so, so much nothing. So much absolutely nothing, but us.

It's no wonder our society places no value on it. There's no profit in wonder, no profit in love of what we already have and who we are--much less, what we can become.

So in my childhood, I'd spend every summer back in Nebraska with my grandparents. Yes, I was born in Lincoln! My mother's side had a cabin at a lake, in Fremont. When we'd go there and I'd spend so many nights just staring at the dark sky skies.. wondering.

I'd decided to be an astronomer at an early age. Now get this. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Nebraska Labor department. He'd always had me down at the office every summer to "show me off". At 16, he had me take the entrance exam.

During the wait for the results, I was in his office. On Grandpa's desk was a book. It was basically the salary for every occupation in the United States. I looked up Astronomer. It was $1600/month. In 1983, I knew that wasn't much so I decided to get a degree in Electronics. This was before the Hubbel days of course.

I followed the money and not my dream. Hard to say which was worse.

Follow the money. I did the same thing. I wanted to get into photovoltaic theory and solar energy. I took some severe advanced classes in physical electronics E=mc2 actually made sense. One of those classes where you were either going to get a 0% or 100% on the tests I was acing the class compared to my computer engineering classes. It's funny. A lot of the theories we worked on are just now making it to production.

So I talked with my professor that was it possible to make a career in it with just a masters. "No. You'd need to get a PhD and make absolutely no money let alone the pita life of getting funding." The honest look of despair. He also believed solar wouldn't have a place.

"I'm out!" Cards folded.

So in my childhood, I'd spend every summer back in Nebraska with my grandparents. Yes, I was born in Lincoln! My mother's side had a cabin at a lake, in Fremont. When we'd go there and I'd spend so many nights just staring at the dark sky skies.. wondering.

I'd decided to be an astronomer at an early age. Now get this. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Nebraska Labor department. He'd always had me down at the office every summer to "show me off". At 16, he had me take the entrance exam.

During the wait for the results, I was in his office. On Grandpa's desk was a book. It was basically the salary for every occupation in the United States. I looked up Astronomer. It was $1600/month. In 1983, I knew that wasn't much so I decided to get a degree in Electronics. This was before the Hubbel days of course.

I followed the money and not my dream. Hard to say which was worse.
One of my workers has an MSc in astrophysics. She is awfully intelligent but said the top spots get filled with even smarter people who are even more passionate for the subject than they are smart. Money doesn't really come into it.

Follow the money. I did the same thing. I wanted to get into photovoltaic theory and solar energy. I took some severe advanced classes in physical electronics E=mc2 actually made sense. One of those classes where you were either going to get a 0% or 100% on the tests I was acing the class compared to my computer engineering classes. It's funny. A lot of the theories we worked on are just now making it to production.

So I talked with my professor that was it possible to make a career in it with just a masters. "No. You'd need to get a PhD and make absolutely no money let alone the pita life of getting funding." The honest look of despair. He also believed solar wouldn't have a place.

"I'm out!" Cards folded.

In my last trimester at DeVry for the Bachelor in Electronics, the "Capstone" research subject I chose was Climate Change. This was October 1988. I discovered I had a real passion for it and briefly thought about going back to school to finish a degree in it after graduating. Glad I didn't. I have a flat spot on my head from bashing it against the walls just from talking to co-workers much less try to change national sentiment. 😂 Or 😢 depending on your angle..

OT, coffee to help this hangover

I wondered how Grind City had made it so far north when I saw your pic of Poppys, now I know that you must be visiting. Welcome to Memphis. I work less than a mile from the Peabody (and even closer to the Saucer you were at the other day)

I wondered how Grind City had made it so far north when I saw your pic of Poppys, now I know that you must be visiting. Welcome to Memphis. I work less than a mile from the Peabody (and even closer to the Saucer you were at the other day)
Thank you for the warm welcome. So far, hubs and I are enjoying our stay, and getting out of this lovely yet overpriced hotel, for meals. May I DM you for breakfast ideas? I can’t eat at sugar grits for a few days! It’s so good, and my belly might bust. 😉

Thank you for the warm welcome. So far, hubs and I are enjoying our stay, and getting out of this lovely yet overpriced hotel, for meals. May I DM you for breakfast ideas? I can’t eat at sugar grits for a few days! It’s so good, and my belly might bust. 😉
I don't really do breakfast downtown but there's some good suggestions in the I Love Memphis blog

https://ilovememphisblog.com/downtownbreakfast

For lunch/dinner, if you like fried chicken, hit Gus' on Front St you'll just need to avoid the construction on Front around Beale.
If you want BBQ, the tourist answer is Rendezvous, which is good but not traditional Memphis style. Central is right next to the Civil Rights Museum and is probably the best Memphis style BBQ you'll find without venturing too far out of downtown.

If you do go to Gus', right across Front Street is Old Dominick Distillery. Old distillery that semi recently reopened and holds the designation of making the first legal whisky in Memphis since prohibition.

Back