What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a couple of new nano breweries in my town. Nothing too impressive except I do enjoy one their black ales.

Mass beer week started this weekend and stopped in to discover they were doing a dark ale graf. It was really good. It didn't have a cider flavor but an apple/skin twang. Odd because whenever I do a cider I've never gotten apple type flavor. And oh! It's called Dark Tower. See if you can figure where that came from.
PXL_20240302_204038609.jpg

I was hoping for more from their farmhouse graf. It was simple. Nothing to exciting. It did have the farmhouse funk
PXL_20240302_205618792.jpg

Also, went to Cold Harbor and tried two versions of their old stock ale.

The base
PXL_20240302_192206072.jpg

The Apple Brandy barrel. I liked the base better. The barrel seemed to take the maltiness down a notch and I didn't get much brandy.
PXL_20240302_193507226.jpg

Never a dull moment. Was going to tone down a bit today but the house wasn't getting cold. Found the A/C Compressor 35A breaker tripped. After further investigation found this in the outside unit...

Oh, and sparks flew when I initially tried resetting and it won't reset even with power disconnected so I get to replace the breaker also. Don't worry through, I stayed at a Holiday Inn a while back. 😉

PXL_20240304_155926060.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20240304_155916570.jpg

@MaxStout
Funny you mention that. I still have the mug that I've kept since I was a kid in the 1960s. You could buy them at the drive-ins back then and on one visit my parents bought one for each of us kids.
Funny you mention that - my very first beer was from a mug just like that (the little ones). Took one sip and hated it. I apparently got over it!

Never a dull moment. Was going to tone down a bit today but the house wasn't getting cold. Found the A/C Compressor 35A breaker tripped. After further investigation found this in the side the unit...

Oh, and sparks flew when I initially tried resetting and it won't reset even with power disconnected so I get to replace the breaker also. Don't worry through, I stayed at a Holiday Inn a while back. 😉

View attachment 843269View attachment 843270

Apparently it stayed energized long enough for the ground conductor to braze itself to that terminal. :eek: Slow-blow breaker.

Never a dull moment. Was going to tone down a bit today but the house wasn't getting cold. Found the A/C Compressor 35A breaker tripped. After further investigation found this in the outside unit...

View attachment 843269View attachment 843270

419242901_7366379610095406_3934221567679509516_n.jpg

Shared this one with my wife last night. This is a beer I’ve been after for a few years since I first read about it. A buddy in our club has relatives in North Carolina and I finally found someone who could get this.

Its a limited release seasonal from Foothills that is only available for a short time around Valentines Day.

Their website says: “A cocoa-infused Russian Imperial Stout, brewed with responsibly-sourced organic Peruvian cocoa nibs. Big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Medalist at both Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup.”

Their description says big chocolate aroma and they are not lying. Chocolate really comes through in the aroma. It has a good amount of bitterness and to me the chocolate presents like bittersweet or baking chocolate in the flavor. I don’t get the blackstrap molasses they mention but I’m not real familiar with that flavor. I think some of the toffee they mention showed up as it warmed up a little. (I really took my time with this.) The alcohol is evident but blends well. Its tasty and goes down pretty easy for something thats almost 10%.

I haven’t had too many chocolate beers to compare it to. There’s one called Moo Hoo which is sweeter and not an imperial. But none of these are going to taste like chocolate milk or Yoo Hoo, nor should they. I guess this is about what I thought it would be. I also think releasing this for Valentine’s Day is marketing genius. This makes me want to do some more with chocolate beer. I like Imperial stout, its fun to brew and good to drink. I’ve done them with bourbon barrel oak but outside of my one attempt at this a couple years ago (without ever tasting it) I haven’t really done chocolate beers.

IMG_3309.jpeg

Last edited:
Apparently it stayed energized long enough for the ground conductor to braze itself to that terminal. :eek: Slow-blow breaker.

I don't really know. Just a standard Eaton 35A CH. Couldn't find a 35A local so 30A it is. Told my wife just saved $500 from calling someone...ergo she's out shopping! Wait what??

Back