What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a good part of today cleaning out some unused stuff from the crawlspace. I found this plate, a bona fide item from Prohibition. My wife's paternal grandparents were strict teetotalers and had it bolted to their car.

I might have to attach it to my beer fridge. I should find a "Repeal the 18th Amendment" plate, put them side by side and let 'em fight it out.

A little irony as I pour a beer...

With both fermenters lagering, my pipeline is on hold until maybe mid-March. I only have about 40 bottles of HB in the fridge right now. First world problems. To hedge my bets I bought some beer at Total Wine, including this old favorite of mine. Maybe not the finest porter but it takes me back 15 or so years when I could get a bomber of it at the store for about $2.

View attachment 840119
That plate is in excellent condition!
IMG_2334.jpeg

I’m sipping coffee, running a pump to get the water out of my crawl space while simultaneously thawing a chicken for dinner.

Kona Brewing Company, since 1994, has their nifty Gold Cliff IPA for us IPA hounds. At an easy drinking 7.2% ABV, this is one very chuggable brew – and check that clarity! This IPA shimmers like fine cut crystal, it is that clear! Slight Pineapple flavor too… Great job!

Now about that can – Portland, Oregon and Portsmouth, New Hampshire? Lanai and Mahalo reference? Liquid Aloha? Huh?

Seems that many of these brews, through company buy-outs, takeovers, or contract brewing end up getting made elsewhere. Portland Oregon – Known for Liquid Sunshine, now Liquid Aloha!!

Good beer, you will like. Chug!!!!

IMG_6760.jpeg

Well it is Day 27 of the endless IPA onslaught, and it shows no signs of depleting my stock. Notably, IPAFest 2024 will need to extend into February I fear. If I see much more San Diego IPA, I’m likely to go bonkers! Bring me a Pils, quick!

Seriously though, I can drink endless IPA, they are that good. Today I thought I’d bring out the “rest” of the Stone IPA lineup. We’re all used to Stone IPA, in fact that is the benchmark IPA I use to evaluate all other comers. Stone, like many other brewers doesn’t stop with just one IPA though. How about 6? How about 15? Maybe 20? I mean the supply and variations are ENDLESS!!!!

Stone Hazy IPA – 6.7% ABV. Like many other Murksters, I’m finding that a lot of the Haze Crud is down at the bottom of the can. After a month of Lagering in my refrigerator, these pour like a Crystalweizen; at the bottom, the Murk turns them into more like a Hefeweizen. That’s just the way it is. Great IPA, El Dorado, Azacca and Sabro hops, traditional flavors, just in a Cup-O-Mud format. Swirl it around a bit while pouring to mix up the Crud and you have yourself a Muddy IPA.

Stone Delicious Citrus – Very similar beer, 7.7% ABV no Murk. This one is reduced Gluten. That doesn’t mean Gluten Free. Great beer through, I’m wondering if maybe they used Citra hops in this.

Stone Delicious IPA – Again, very similar IPA, 7.7% low Gluten. Traditional hopping, not as Citrusy, otherwise the same.

Stone Fear Movie Lions Hazy Double IPA – A stronger rendition, Cup-O-Mud 8.5% ABV. I swirled the can to bring up the Murky Crud you are paying for, but all I ended up with were small chunks of what otherwise might be considered Yeast. So this one isn’t quite as Murky as the rest of the Murksters. Really balanced beer the hopping increased a touch to stand up to the higher ABV me thinketh. Great beer.

Stone Delicious 9.4% ABV – This one is in the category I call Hammertime! Gluten reduced beer, again not Gluten Free beer, just reduced. Very similar flavor to the other Stone IPA’s here, just a heavier, Boozier presentation. I don’t care for this one as much. Enough is enough already, I’m here to enjoy the party, not get so wasted.

All these Stones are very professionally brewed, all have exceptional head that lasts all the way into the beer and fantastic lacing. This really is the premier San Diego-area brew-house, we’ve enjoyed Grub and Glug at the Escondido Mothership many times. Enjoy!

IMG_6770.jpeg

Last edited:
Drinking a 30 year old Sam Adams Triple Bock. Been hanging on to this since 1994. The aroma hints of the original taste back in 94 but it hasn't aged well. The aroma is really nice now. But the flavor has become too astringent. I'm sorry I didn't sell it or consume years earlier.
View attachment 840216
Now you got me worried :) I have one that has been in my fridge for at least four moves. It started leaking a long time ago. One of these days I'm gonna drink a sample. Probably wind up on my salad.

OT: Spyglass collab with Deciduous anniversary. It was packed today. Oysters are freezing as im shucking on the deck. Lobster for dinner and bisque going on in the Instapot. Smells so good
PXL_20240128_010410205.jpg

Back