What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_3440.jpeg
Coffee roasting time.

Made it home last night. For months I'd been fantasizing about vaulting up the stairs, pouring a pint, and finally getting to drink some of my beer again while reflecting upon the events of the past year and a half.

As is so often the case, reality turned out to be a bit different. I staggered out of the car, sluffed up the stairs, did something really important, thought about going back down to get my bag, said something really inappropriate to scuttle that notion, then sat down in my reading chair and thought about what I thought it would be like when I got home. I mustered up the energy to pour a pint of brown, had a few sips, scolded myself for leaving the taps hooked up and letting them sour for three months of inactivity, decided I was really not looking forward to cleaning the tap lines, then fell asleep.

Last night's brown.
5856B017-F11C-4B1B-9048-5A3043AC3603.jpeg

Tonight I'm sipping some mild and laughing at myself.

I spend a lot of time doing that.
6A5E851E-AC90-4302-9796-AE0EF3C46AE3.jpeg

With this kidney business mostly wrapped up, I wanted to take a moment to thank you guys. It was a long, often frustrating and infuriating process. I've seldom been in a good mood for the last eighteen months. HBT was a welcome diversion that really cheered me up and your kind remarks actually meant something--especially last summer, when things were looking a bit bleak.

Thank you. You guys played an important part in this. Sincerely, thank you.

Made it home last night. For months I'd been fantasizing about vaulting up the stairs, pouring a pint, and finally getting to drink some of my beer again while reflecting upon the events of the past year and a half.

As is so often the case, reality turned out to be a bit different. I staggered out of the car, sluffed up the stairs, did something really important, thought about going back down to get my bag, said something really inappropriate to scuttle that notion, then sat down in my reading chair and thought about what I thought it would be like when I got home. I mustered up the energy to pour a pint of brown, had a few sips, scolded myself for leaving the taps hooked up and letting them sour for three months of inactivity, decided I was really not looking forward to cleaning the tap lines, then fell asleep.

Last night's brown.
View attachment 840292

Tonight I'm sipping some mild and laughing at myself.

I spend a lot of time doing that.
View attachment 840293

With this kidney business mostly wrapped up, I wanted to take a moment to thank you guys. It was a long, often frustrating and infuriating process. I've seldom been in a good mood for the last eighteen months. HBT was a welcome diversion that really cheered me up and your kind remarks actually meant something--especially last summer, when things were looking a bit bleak.

Thank you. You guys played an important part in this. Sincerely, thank you.

If donating a kidney was easy, everyone would be doing it. ;)

Seriously, you've done a very, very good thing. Welcome back. :mug:

Last edited:
Drinking a 30 year old Sam Adams Triple Bock. Been hanging on to this since 1994. The aroma hints of the original taste back in 94 but it hasn't aged well. The aroma is really nice now. But the flavor has become too astringent. I'm sorry I didn't sell it or consume years earlier.
View attachment 840216
I was gifted a 1995 vintage bottle of this when it was released. I opened it in May of 2012, so it was ~17 years old at the time I drank it. I found my tasting notes from that evening.....

...and I finally opened and drank my lone bottle of 1995 Sam Adams Triple Bock - didn't know what to expect here. The cork broke apart when opening it. The smell was quite pungent, but I guess in a good way. Very thick, like a brandy, really coated the glass. Absolutely no carbonation whatsoever. Strong and warming, and tasted to me a bit like a tea-flavored brandy. A slow sipper for sure. I'm sure I'll never drink any of this again, but I'm glad I waited - 17 years!!

San Diego area Coronado is a great place. Besides being home to fun breweries like Coronado Brewing, It has a lot of other interesting points of interest, some even a bit Ritzy so bring your wallet or a cheaper date! I can remember taking the kids down to Silver Strand Beach. Also fun is the Hotel Del Coronado, the filming location of Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon in “Some Like it Hot” back in 1958. Even had a beer there!

I then had the great opportunity to go up to North Island Naval Air Station for a military project we were working on. Driving past two Nimitz-Class aircraft carriers end-to end at about 30 miles per hour was incredible, those ships just go on, and on and on and on AND ON!

Today’s chugs include the following great beers from Coronado Brewing. Just to think all that malt, hops and beer likely went over the Coronado Bridge. Getting high in style! Awesome!

Palm Sway – Island Style IPA, 6.5% ABV received the 2021 GABF Gold Medal for English/New Zealand style IPA. Said to be tropical and citrusy on the can, I’m not really picking that up. English IPA Citrusy? Not following that one.

Weekend Vibes – 6.8% Conventional IPA, a bit “Piney” (which I like) due to the Simcoe, also Mosaic and Citra hops in this brew. This beer was awarded Bronze at the 2019 GABF for American style IPA.

Big Weekend – A Great Big 8.8% ABV Double IPA. Body seems a touch thin for a double, flavor fine.

We took a boat cruise around San Diego Harbor one evening, the lights around San Diego were great. I only wish the boat would have pulled off at Coronado Island so we could soak up some of these fantastic Coronado brews. Enjoy!

IMG_6772.jpeg

Back