What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Founder's CBS. Chocolate, coffee, bourbon barrel, maple syrup; I get all that plus what I perceive as some coconut. Lots going on with this beer. Nice full mouth feel, sweet but not too much, 11.7% abv. Kinda pricey at $5.50 a bottle but it's very tasty.
IMG_20240103_172136.jpg

The can says “Super Drinkable,” and Lagunitas IPA at 6.2% ABV sure is!

Super tasty West Coast style IPA is produced by Lagunitas Brewing in Petaluma, California.

Lagunitas IPA has what I’d call a very predictable hop profile. Not going off in any particular direction, they hit the flavor profile right down the hoppy center.

I read somewhere (not at Lagunitas) that many brewers were now blending up a big mix of different hops – maybe 20 styles when doing IPA’s. The thinking goes, that if any one hop became unavailable, through market forces, crop conditions or supply chain, they could go without or substitute something else. That way, if the batch had 18 of the 20 hop varieties in the mix, you could move forward with the brew without really noticing the absent varieties.

Those single hop beers – using hops that become popular and in sporadic supply, could spell disaster for your batch if they ever became unavailable or bought out by other companies. By doing the “20 hop mix” nothing slows you down!

Medium head, good lacing, Lagunitas IPA is sure to please!

IMG_6503.jpeg

Eagle Park Brewing Co's "Last Christmas". 14% ABV, all I'm tasting is fizzy bourbon.

1704337845105.png

To answer @Rish: Dunno! Try it soon, and if it's amazing (or seems like it might become amazing once the booziness mellows), then get a couple more bottles to age. Probably not a great investment plan to age a whole bunch of bottles, tho :)

Last edited:
Saw this Goose Island Backyard Stout locally for the first time today. Not familiar with it so decided I'd ask for some input from y'all more knowledgeable than me. Should I drink it now or hold it? Go back and get a few more to age? Will this appreciate in value if I had a few to hang onto for a few years? I appreciate your thoughts!🍻🍻View attachment 838121
I like to get two bottles. One to drink fresh and one to age. Assuming the budget allows. I do that with the standard version b/c the adjunct bottles are typically pretty pricey in NY.

One of the few national (meaning non-Cali) IPAs in the Beermeister32 beer hoard is this HUGE 9.9% ABV zonker “Tropical Beer Hug” by Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago, IL and Fort Collins, CO. I guess we probably get the Colorado production out here in the West.

The clarity of this good-tasting brew is remarkable; It almost looks like a polished Topaz gem. Incredible. Bravo!

Boy, is this ever a strong IPA though. Hopping is not the highest and I’m not picking up anything that I might interpret as “Tropical” flavor. The biggie is that alcohol – it keeps hitting me like I’m drinking raw booze dripping off the back end of a still. Reminds me of the bottle of facial astringent in my bathroom.

Obviously, this is one of the beers that has displaced the Malt Liquors off the left end of the store beer shelf. Holy cow, next time I drink this it will be sitting on the ground outside the bowling alley from a paper bag! A whole ‘lotta booze here, I'm already buzzed. Medium head, medium lacing, go get your Freak On!

IMG_6505.jpeg

Latitude 33° Blood Orange IPA by Latitude 33 Brewing, San Diego, California.

The can says Juicy, Crisp and Refreshing. To that I’ll add great tasting West Coast style IPA, decent head and terrific lacing. At 7.2% ABV, this is an easy drinking IPA from that other Beer Mecca, San Diego. Enjoy!

IMG_6515.jpeg
IMG_6516.jpeg

Goose Island Backyard Stout 2023. Have never had the GI barrel aged beers or even seen them in this area so was excited to get one to try. Sweet, dark/stone fruit, definitely get the bourbon barrel, toasted coconut, full body, medium carb, very good beer. No alcohol on the palate but at 12.9% abv and at the bottom of glass after sipping for the last hour, I can tell you it's there! Kinda comparable to Founders CBS imho but about 3x the price at $22/.5 liter. Still, I may pick up another to share with my son and grandson. Longest review I've ever written; did I mention12.9%?
IMG_20240105_163613.jpg

Last edited:
Back