What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eduard von Grützner was a great painter in the 1800’s-early 1900’s. He specialized in painting Monk brewers. Monasteries were given brewing authority by Monarchs and they used the revenue to support the Monasteries.

Munich / Muenchen town name derives from “by the Monks place”.

So anyway, many of his paintings show the Monks enjoying the labors of their work, usually with turnips, radishes, bread and a chunk of meat.

Well what the heck, not sure if I ever was fed a turnip, but I know what the rest taste like. So today at the store I decided to walk the same path as our fellow Monk brewers and eat a turnip with a beer.

So my selection for today is Hacker Schorr, brewed in Munich, Munchner Gold lager. On the plate is a fresh turnip. So how does it taste with the beer? Not bad, sort of like a radish without the spiciness. Not quite potato, not quite radish. Sort of in between. Good to shake some salt on the plate to press the chunks into. Beer tastes good too. Not bad!!!

Prost!
My mother used to make rutabaga and for the longest time she called it turnip. Quite different. Rutabaga to me tastes strongly of iron. It must have a bunch of iron in it. Turnips are like you said milder. And also whiter. Rutabaga is orange. Yeah I never had either with a beer.

My mother used to make rutabaga and for the longest time she called it turnip. Quite different. Rutabaga to me tastes strongly of iron. It must have a bunch of iron in it. Turnips are like you said milder. And also whiter. Rutabaga is orange. Yeah I never had either with a beer.
My grandma would mix rutabaga into the mash potatoes for the holidays…always felt like she ruined the potatoes lol

It’s been a long time since i have had to work nights, but the first beer after a stretch of nights is as good as I remember.

Going Japanese via Italy, apparently. No matter where it was made, it’s a fine beer.

11B2D546-64ED-499D-88D1-562D3454FC95.jpeg

What did you think of their beers? Cold Spring would be a bit of a drive for me, but doable, if worth the drive.
We visit Cold Spring Village when we’re staying in Wildwood. It’s a historical site and they have some interesting events including a paranormal weekend every year.

Cape May Brewery is not in Cold Spring. Its in Rio Grande, NJ. Cape May Brewery and Cape May Winery are both worth a visit. There are probably a total of 6 or 7 wineries and also a couple distilleries nearby too. The other brew pub/brewery in Wildwood is called Mudhen. They are doing some good beers also. I don’t think they are canning.

We like Hawk Haven Winery down there, too. Probably our favorite. That is also in Rio Grande. They make an excellent Cab Franc. Those grapes apparently like sandy soil and they grow well there.

The distilleries I can think of are Lazy Eye Distillery and Nauti Spirits. I think there might be a Cape May Distillery too. The Lazy Eye people are Greek and they make a spirit called Raki. From what I understand they are the only ones in the US who make it. I would describe the aged Raki as very similar to an anejo tequila. Its very good. Drop in for a tour and you can purchase a flight of all their stuff.

Last edited:
Eduard von Grützner was a great painter in the 1800’s-early 1900’s. He specialized in painting Monk brewers. Monasteries were given brewing authority by Monarchs and they used the revenue to support the Monasteries.

Munich / Muenchen town name derives from “by the Monks place”.

So anyway, many of his paintings show the Monks enjoying the labors of their work, usually with turnips, radishes, bread and a chunk of meat.

Well what the heck, not sure if I ever was fed a turnip, but I know what the rest taste like. So today at the store I decided to walk the same path as our fellow Monk brewers and eat a turnip with a beer.

My selection for today is Hacker Schorr, brewed in Munich, Munchner Gold lager. On the plate is a fresh turnip. So how does it taste with the beer? Not bad, sort of like a radish without the spiciness. Not quite potato, not quite radish. Sort of in between. Good to shake some salt on the plate to press the chunks into. Beer tastes good too. Not bad!!!

Prost!
If it hasn't already been brought up, as I am going through 4 pages of this thread, boil some when you make mashed potatoes and make 50/50 or 25 turnip to 75 potato mix. It's a good thing.

Boy, when you don’t check in for a couple days, there sure are a lot of posts in this thread.

Anyway, we’ve had some family staying with us in Billings after the wedding we all attended over the weekend. Now I’m sitting here with a little CC 1858 and water after everyone else has gone to bed.
2EE69F8D-1B20-444B-8C00-D566AB7014C2.jpeg

Back