What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E474A9C3-980B-4C60-8AA1-45BF50AB4A06.jpeg

Trying a sample after a late-transfer Voss kveik for my new pitch. It's a local style called 'Olde Peculiar' a British-style ale.

Bumped it up a bit, started at 1.075ish... transferred today and found a steady 1.020 with no percolation. Looking at 8.5% at least..woot!

One more day or two, and I'll bottle with confidence. I love Voss!

olde_peculiar.jpg

Trying a sample after a late-transfer Voss kveik for my new pitch. It's a local style called 'Olde Peculiar' a British-style ale.

Bumped it up a bit, started at 1.075ish... transferred today and found a steady 1.020 with no percolation. Looking at 8.5% at least..woot!

One more day or two, and I'll bottle with confidence. I love Voss!

View attachment 707193
Good beer. Hard style to get just right. Old ale.

Good beer. Hard style to get just right. Old ale.

i'm very happy, @seanjwalker1 it tastes really clean. So very happy I didn't add any extra dark malt to this darker beer.

I like to bump my beers, but this one was so coffee/smoky in initial boil, it didn't seem right.

Added plain bleached sugar, and it's going to be great. :yes:

A stout; it's in untapped. We are out for the third or sixth time this year (our last, too effing cold). Raccoons, beers, wine, great food, and no one else has to gall to eat out tonight. We ate under the stars, and I'll be damned if I didn't see a shooting star tonight. Very rare for this area, and it was consequently a big one.
PXL_20201120_025142951.jpg

i'm very happy, @seanjwalker1 it tastes really clean. So very happy I didn't add any extra dark malt to this darker beer.

I like to bump my beers, but this one was so coffee/smoky in initial boil, it didn't seem right.

Added plain bleached sugar, and it's going to be great. :yes:
Did you use real Treacle and inverted sugar like the original? I had to wait like 6 weeks for my Golden Treacle from England. It came out ok but not spot on. And then waiting more than 6 months sucked. I believe Old P is supposed to be conditioned for a year. I didn't have temp control 6 years ago so maybe it would have come out better. But was ok.

It's early in the morning here. I'm having "Raven's Roast" Ethiopian coffee from Aldi. It was one of their Halloween blends. It's just good coffee with no flavorings (from reading the label you might think it had honey and fruit flavors added, but that was just a poor attempt a describing it) If your Aldi still has some, I highly recommend it. I didn't try the other one, "Sleepy Hollow"

Did you use real Treacle and inverted sugar like the original? I had to wait like 6 weeks for my Golden Treacle from England. It came out ok but not spot on. And then waiting more than 6 months sucked. I believe Old P is supposed to be conditioned for a year. I didn't have temp control 6 years ago so maybe it would have come out better. But was ok.
SanJuanWorm is a fellow Canadian. Since we never threw the monarchy out, we can walk into the local grocery store (even Walmart) to buy some golden treacle. Next time you need just look north of the border instead of across the pond!

SanJuanWorm is a fellow Canadian. Since we never threw the monarchy out, we can walk into the local grocery store (even Walmart) to buy some golden treacle. Next time you need just look north of the border instead of across the pond!
😂😂. You know I never thought of that! I got a whole truckload of 2nd cousins in Maple Leaf land right across the Detroit River!

I'm a one-trick pony these days and happy about it. Loving the prices at Costco. Got the Penzey Mural of Flavor product and it's pretty good. The Smoked Spanish Paprika is top-shelf. Going to make a KFC clone soon-ish with all 11 herbs and spices. I'll be using boneless dark meat. The only question I have is whether to just brine it first or use an egg/buttermilk batter.
Penzey Dragon.jpg

Had to take car in to the dealership for some recall work and to have them check after my parked car got hit in a mishap a couple weeks back. No damage found from incident, so decided to celebrate with a flight at a nearby brewery.
4CAA01E0-1FA8-4D77-9825-543B9EAA94FC.jpeg

left to right - ginger pale ale, wet hopped pale ale, esb, dipa.

I'm a one-trick pony these days and happy about it. Loving the prices at Costco. Got the Penzey Mural of Flavor product and it's pretty good. The Smoked Spanish Paprika is top-shelf. Going to make a KFC clone soon-ish with all 11 herbs and spices. I'll be using boneless dark meat. The only question I have is whether to just brine it first or use an egg/buttermilk batter.
View attachment 707236
There's a cooking show out of Toronto on YouTube called Glen and Friends. He devoted several episodes to trying to replicate KFC'S chicken. Claims to have gotten quite close on a couple different recipes. Might be worth checking out for a comparison.

I believe it. That's Port-level. Wish I knew how to skyrocket that ABV on heavy beers without sacrificing flavor. RIS is probably tied for my favorite with the Belgian Tripel (easy to get high ABVs).

There are multiple high ABV yeast strains to get one there. 11-12% is pretty easy. For 15%, they probably walk up the fermentation. Get it to 10-11% then add some type of sugar (dme) once the yeast is thoroughly propagated and a ton of additional oxygen to get it to 15%.

It's 70... brrrr..hot tub time.

Edit: had to cut it short. Checked and it's actually 75F here...HT was feeling a bit warm!

PXL_20201121_003054861.jpg

Last edited:
0 Cal 0 Carb is very nice.
I wasn't sure if the blur was me or the photo. I closed one eye and it didn't get any better so I'm blaming the photo. I'm just kidding, I'm only into number one for the night

haha well it is a bad pic but you might be making it worse 😂
110 cal, 0 carb, 0 sugar so I guess you could keto on it? Idk, idc...

proper glassware

76B6991A-FB4C-4EFD-A946-C3576049B0F3.jpeg

View attachment 707236
Was at Costco today in Mad Hts. Went with the wife just to grab some paper towels...saw The Dragon...😬😬😬 wanted to buy some so bad hands were shaking! Broke out in a sweat! Had to let it go, wife woulda went south on me with all the beer I have on hand already 😒

Back