What are the odds? (rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
[rant]So there I am in my kitchen, right in the middle of culturing some yeast from a couple bombers of Rogue beer, I've got my inoculating loop sterilized, I open the little jar with the yeast slurry in it, I open my yeast slant, I hold my breath and go to grab a drop of yeast and...

A big goddamn drop of water lands right in the middle of the counter, right next to EVERYTHING, and splatters EVERYWHERE. Several more drops follow immediately. I look up and it's dripping from the ceiling. So great, everything's just been splattered with dirty nasty ceiling water - I'm sure that's sterile.

I have NEVER seen any water dripping from the ceiling in my apartment, and there's no obvious water damage on the ceilings that would signify past problems. So what are the odds that it would start to drip at almost the exact moment I needed to keep things the most sanitary? And what are the odds that it would drip right in the middle of what I was doing, and nowhere else?

Best part is, it only dripped for a minute or two and then stopped. Bet the neighbors above us overflowed their toilet or something. Maybe I should go upstairs and "thank" them for their impeccable timing.[/rant]
:tank:

On the plus side, if pacman yeast is as tenacious as rumor would have it, I'm sure it'll turn out fine anyway.

Man, and here I thought I was the one overreacting. No, I don't ACTUALLY think it was toilet water :p I was in rant mode, of course I had to exaggerate to make the story reflect my level of irritation at the time.

And it's not like a big drop of water landed right in my yeast, in which case I would have tossed it. Some drops landed on the counter several inches away, a little bit splashed around, I moved everything away before continuing, so I've got three cultures to work from. Besides, that's one of the advantages of starters and slants - if they turn nasty you'll find out before it ever goes in your beer, and you can call it a failed biology experiment instead of a bad batch.

Back