What are the disadvantages of brewing small batches on a larger system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrews824

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to maybe try to brew some kind of specialty beer for the Holidays. However, I don't want to brew a huge batch. Are there problems or situations that I need to look for if I brew say.... a single gallon batch on a 5 gallon system? Maybe, during the boil, fermentation, etc.?

Thanks,
Scott

One thing that I would look out for is your boil off rate. You will boil off about the same amount of water doing a 1 gallon batch as a 5 gallon.

If you use a false bottom in your rig, that could cause problems since a large percentage of the water will not be mixed with the grains.

I've brewed some 3gal batches in my 15gal kettle, fermented in 6.5gal fermenters, and didn't have any issues.

For a 1gal batch I'd probably just use one of my cooking pots and brew it on my stovetop. I'd use something smaller to ferment in, so the yeast would have a chance at adequately purging the headspace of the fermenter. If you need something quick and cheap, you can get 2gal food safe HDPE buckets at home centers. Drill the lid for an airlock, and they work fine. I've used them for fermenting small batches of mead.

One thing that I would look out for is your boil off rate. You will boil off about the same amount of water doing a 1 gallon batch as a 5 gallon.

Ok. Yeah, I've been using the BIAB Calculator and I'll have to remember to plug that in for sure. Thanks.

If you use a false bottom in your rig, that could cause problems since a large percentage of the water will not be mixed with the grains.

I've brewed some 3gal batches in my 15gal kettle, fermented in 6.5gal fermenters, and didn't have any issues.

For a 1gal batch I'd probably just use one of my cooking pots and brew it on my stovetop. I'd use something smaller to ferment in, so the yeast would have a chance at adequately purging the headspace of the fermenter. If you need something quick and cheap, you can get 2gal food safe HDPE buckets at home centers. Drill the lid for an airlock, and they work fine. I've used them for fermenting small batches of mead.

I don't use a false bottom, so hopefully no issues there. I do like the idea of fermenting in a smaller vessel however. One, to prove your point and two, I'd like to keep my larger fermenter available for my larger batches. Thanks.

Keeping temps stable during the mash gets easier as batch size increases.
I would stove top a gallon batch and put it in a warm oven during the mash rest.
This is exactly what I do with my 1 gallon batches. My 5.5 gallon kettle just fits in my stove, and on the warm setting i can go down as low as 150 for the oven so that's what I set it to. While I still brew in my 5.5 kettle, I will use a smaller fermenter for a 1 gallon batch, my preference being a 1 gallon fermonster (it’s 1.3+ gallon in size so it will take a whole gallon brew nicely) or if I am brewing just a touch over a gallon I may move up to the 3 gallon fermonster to make sure no messy blowovers.

I don’t know if it’s something you would consider, but I really like doing 2 1/2 gallon batches. It’s not too much beer to consume, it works fine on my standard system, and it is easy to obtain fermenting sizes, etc.

I don’t know if it’s something you would consider, but I really like doing 2 1/2 gallon batches. It’s not too much beer to consume, it works fine on my standard system, and it is easy to obtain fermenting sizes, etc.

Oh, for sure. I've moved to 3 gallon batches already. That seems to be a nice amount for me. I was more thinking of for a holiday beer where one gallon may get me by. If I don't like it, I haven't brewed so much that I don't want to drink it.

Oh, for sure. I've moved to 3 gallon batches already. That seems to be a nice amount for me. I was more thinking of for a holiday beer where one gallon may get me by. If I don't like it, I haven't brewed so much that I don't want to drink it.
One great thing about small batch is is mashing, splitting the boil, and doing two totally different beers from one mash. One might be a black IPA, when might be a holiday beer.

Latest posts

Back