what are some of your favorite stinky hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plusultra

Reaction score
So far in my limited brewing life, citra hops are the stinkiest I have used. What are some other over the top aroma hops? ty, Brian.

yeah cheezy aged hops. nasty! i left a big 1kg bag of old tettnanger open in a spare room for a few months to let them finish stinking and all that happened is they made all the jackets hanging nearby smell awful
other than that, i find columbus fairly ripe, but it's not all that pungent.

Simcoe can smell like cat piss if used in large quanities.

Citra is Pungent overripe tropical fruit

Moasic is simcoes daughter and has more fruit but the same dank cat piss.

Try a beer with all 3!!

It's not my favorite by a long shot, but the stinkiest has to be Summit. Onions and garlic. Kern River brews an Imperial Red from time to time called Dirty Hippie (because that's what it smells like) that uses Summit pretty heavily. Good beer, but man that's an odd smell/flavor.

Had a beer featuring Nelson for the first time a few weeks ago. That is a really weird hop. It's very unique, I'm just not sure if it's in a good way.

I brew a clone of Prairie 'Merica which is a SMaSH using Nelson Sauvin, I love it in that, I've honestly never used it in anything else

This thread really excites me!

Recently bought a couple ounces each of citra, nelson, and mosaic.

Plus some sorachi

All hops ive never used before but am now even more looking forward to trying!!

Pair the citra with some amarillo, they're awesome together.

+100000! Just tapped my Wooky Jack Clone. Bittered with Magnum and then 5oz of Citra and Amarillo between flame out and dry hop. It is awesome!

Thanks for the input people. This will be a big help in the future. My first brew was an imperial ipa and it had a lot of citra, some simcoe and some centennial hops. When I opened the bags the citra pellets blew up the room which is what I like. I'm going to try to get some to grow with a wet hops order that I hope I get soon. I dream citra. lol

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

Wookey Jack is literally the only black IPA I've ever liked

Yeah, Wooky Jack is probably one of only 2-3 commercial Black IPA's I like. I've made a few of my own which I really liked and have had one or two from other homebrewers which were good, but as a whole I'm not a big fan of most commercial Black IPAs.

Simcoe can smell like cat piss if used in large quanities.

Citra is Pungent overripe tropical fruit

Moasic is simcoes daughter and has more fruit but the same dank cat piss.

Try a beer with all 3!!

Did a second brew of an IIPA recipe I've been trying to perfect for a while, and the recipe was originally straight Citra (love it) hops. This time I added Mosaic to the late additions. Bad idea. It gave a really cat-piss like smell to things that I've never smelled with just Citra. Plus the combo of the two just wasn't as pleasant as the all Citra. Haven't used Simcoe yet tho.

Back