Weyermann Cararye in a doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmr9

Reaction score
Planning a doppelbock to pitch on a fresh yeast cake. Anyone ever use weyermann cararye in a doppelbock or a similar malty beer? My preference would be to use caramunich iii but my LHBS doesn’t carry caramunich. Thinking a grain bill like this:

62% avangard dark munich
13% barke pils
3% caraaroma
3% cararye (?)
19% pils DME - Brewzilla can’t handle more grain.

I could swap the cararye out for more caraaroma potentially. Thoughts?

I adore crystal rye, though I haven’t tried Weyermann’s offering. It’s obviously not traditional, but I do like a little in malt-forward lagers, and a little chocolate rye as well.

I’d start at 1%, though. I mean, it’ll be a perfectly good beer with no crystal at all, and it’ll be undrinkable with too much. Best to approach it carefully.

I definitely want to hit the balance between rich and malty yet drinkable. I don’t want a cloying mess that’s for sure, so I’ll be judicious with the crystal malts.

I did a flight of doppelbocks at home, 2 domestic and Andechs. The Andechs had such a rich malty base with some fantastic dark fruit undertones that I’d like to try to build into mine.

I used 3% crystal rye Thomas Fawcett and it was licorice like. Dropped to 1.4% on the next one it was OK. Funny, cos I likes me some licorice rope candy all day long! Just not in muh beer I guess.

I used 3% crystal rye Thomas Fawcett and it was licorice like. Dropped to 1.4% on the next one it was OK. Funny, cos I likes me some licorice rope candy all day long! Just not in muh beer I guess.
I agree, I like licorice on its own just fine but I’m not aiming for that in my doppelbock! I’ve heard of the licorice flavor from the British Crystal ryes quite a bit, but have read that the weyermann product is different. How different and in what way? I’m not sure but now I lean towards ordering some caramunich or replacing the Cararye with more caraaroma.

I have a rye doublebock lagering now, and I used Proximity crystal rye and chocolate rye. The sample from the hydro had no licorice at all. I had 8 oz of each in a 24 lb grain bill. gose on tap May 5th.

I have a rye doublebock lagering now, and I used Proximity crystal rye and chocolate rye. The sample from the hydro had no licorice at all. I had 8 oz of each in a 24 lb grain bill. gose on tap May 5th.
Did you get a sense from the sample for what the crystal rye brought to the table?

It’s nice you’re planning on tapping a gose, but what about the doppelbock?

Rye doppelbock sounds great, btw. What’s the rest of the grist look like?

There’s a nice looking recipe for a rye doppelbock on brewingnordic. I contemplated giving it a try for the batch in question but I settled on a regular doppelbock with maybe a smidge of the Cararye. I might go for it, if Cararye lends licorice, how much licorice would 3% of the grain bill really be?

The grain bill was 18 lbs munich , 3 lbs pale ale, 2 lbs rye malt ,12 oz crystal rye and 4 oz chocolate rye with a double decoction mash schedule. As far as the flavor chewing the malt , it tastes doughy and not licorice, a little something i can't describe but prefer it to a C-80 with barley. I'm also not a fan of C-60, it's just way too over used. Proxcimity has the crystal rye(C-80) and the crystal wheat (C-60) so I use those instead. I never go over 5% mostly 1%-3%.

I enjoy playing with the English language because there's, they'res, too many two's to read,reed. But I here German is worse. And that's how it gose, goes!

Back