Westy 12 Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollywoodTK

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So about 20 days ago I brewed the Westy 12 "clone" (more or less, given the various alterations and variations in those threads).
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=500037

It's been sitting in my fridge now for about a week at 50 F conditioning. This coming week I will be brewing two other beers, one of which will be a lager which will require my fridge. I use the quick lager method supported by Brulosophy. In all, I will likely need my fridge for about two weeks. As this is a relatively large Belgian beer (1.090), a very long conditioning period is recommended in both fermentation vessel on the yeast, and then in the bottle.

My apartment stays at around 68-70 this time of year.

Here's the question: Would you fine folks recommend pulling the beer out and continuing with the conditioning period at the warmer room temperature for another month or so, then cold crash and bottle.

Or...

Cold crash prior to brew day and bottle now, letting the beer condition off the yeast, in the bottle.

I am leaning toward option 1, but I'm looking for input regarding the temp swings. It free rose up to 80 through the first week of fermentation, then free dropped down to 65 F for the second. Then will have sat for roughly two weeks at 50 F. I don't think that letting it rise again to the high 60's should have much of a negative impact at this stage. But what do you think?

Thanks!

Sorry, I should have mentioned in that last sentence, I chilled to 67 after the boil, pitched, then let it free rise to 80.

Good point about the cold crash, I was considering leaving that out as well.

Thanks much.

generally, I just drop the trappist clone beers into a closet after the first 2-3 weeks of temp controlled initial fermentation, then just leave em there for a few months, bottle and bottle condition/age for another few months.

Back