Belgian Dark Strong Ale Westvleteren 12 Clone - Multiple Award Winner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grist/Fermentables
----------------------------------
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Belgian (2.0 SRM)
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Belgian (3.0 SRM)
3 lbs D-180 Candi Syrup (180.0 SRM)

Mash Steps
---------------
Mash at 149.0 F 90 min
Fly or batch sparge 168.0 F

Boil Steps
---------------
Boil 90 minutes
Add hops and Servomyces per schedule, (make sure and open the Servomyces cap).
Stir-in adjuncts at 10 minutes prior to flame-out, (alternatively, stir in adjuncts at flame-out)

Boil Ingredients
---------------------
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Hallertau Mittelfrueh [5.00%] - Boil 30 minutes
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 Items Servomyces - Boil 5.0 mins

Yeast Ingredients
----------------------------------
320 Billion cells or 3200 ml stir-plate starter seeded with 1.0 vial Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530)
***Krausen yeast method to be added here

Clear wort boil-down notes:
-------------------
Perform a separate boil-down of 1.00 gallon of vorlaufed wort into a syrup using the following steps:
1. Extract 1.0 gallon of wort at the beginning of clear runoff into a 3-5 gallon pot.
2. Boil the wort down until it becomes a dark mahogany brown and is bubbling with large bubbles.
3. Be careful NOT to burn the maltose syrup.
4. The result will be approximately 24-26 ounces of syrup.
5. Re-crash the syrup by adding wort from the ongoing main boil.
6. Pour the dissolved liquid back in to the main boil.

Fermentation Pitch Notes:
---------------------
Chill wort to 63-64F
Oxygenate chilled wort to 8-10PPM by diffusing pure O2 via .05 micron diffuser for 90-120 seconds.
Pitch decanted yeast starter, adding chilled wort to the yeast flask to clear remaining yeast as necessary.
Ramp fermentation temp (evenly over time) from 63 - 80F over 7 days.

Fermentation Process Notes
---------------------
1/5/2012 - Primary Fermentation (7 days at 63F ending at 80.0 F)
1/23/2012 - Secondary Fermentation (3 -10 days at 78.0 F ending at 60.0 F)
1/26/2012 - Tertiary Fermentation (40 days at 50.0 F ending at 50.0 F)

Final Aged Ale
---------------------
In the end you should have a mohagany dark ale that is fragrant, malty, plummy, with a lasting medium tan head with considerable Belgian lace. Like the pic below:

When I put this in beer smith I get 45 IBUs. Seems kind of high

Wondering about subbing wyeast yeast nutrient for servomyces . My LHBS has everything but that. They do have wyeast nutrients though. Much cheaper I might add.

I have a Wyeast trappist blend smack pack. How will that go with this recipe?

[and i will make a monster starter!]

When I put this in beer smith I get 45 IBUs. Seems kind of high

I think Beersmith defaults to Rager. In higher gravity ales we've found it useful to use the Tinseth algorithm. Tinseth does a great job adjusting resulting IBU's in the context of variable gravity.

I have a Wyeast trappist blend smack pack. How will that go with this recipe?

[and i will make a monster starter!]

We've used WLP500, WLP540, and WLP530 on this ale. By far the Westmalle (WLP530), is ideal. The blend should work but the profile will be notably different than the import.

I think Beersmith defaults to Rager. In higher gravity ales we've found it useful to use the Tinseth algorithm. Tinseth does a great job adjusting resulting IBU's in the context of variable gravity.

What is your boil volume and post boil volume for the recipe above?

On the Candi Syrup Inc. website there is inconsistency in color description. Could you please clarify for better color estimation using brewing software? For example the D-180 syrup is listed as having a color of both 180 SRM and 180°L, although they are not the same thing.

180 SRM = ~133°L
180°L = 243 SRM

On the Candi Syrup Inc. website there is inconsistency in color description. Could you please clarify for better color estimation using brewing software? For example the D-180 syrup is listed as having a color of both 180 SRM and 180°L, although they are not the same thing.

180 SRM = ~133°L
180 SRM = 243 SRM

True. I'll pass this along to the webmaster.

I'm about to brew this for the second time. This is the first I've heard of the "boiling down" of 1 gallon of runoff. What is the best way to account for this and still hit the proper OG and volumn into the fermentor? I was considering just adding an extra 3/4 gallon of water to the mash (I do BIAB) and hoping to come close.

I'm about to brew this for the second time. This is the first I've heard of the "boiling down" of 1 gallon of runoff. What is the best way to account for this and still hit the proper OG and volumn into the fermentor? I was considering just adding an extra 3/4 gallon of water to the mash (I do BIAB) and hoping to come close.

I asked the same question. It seems this step isn't really necessary anymore as it doesn't add much of difference in the final product

This is a carryover from a former thread. The optional boil-down does add some interesting maltose-caramel but it is not an essential step for this clone.

Did anybody ever brew this with Castle pale and pilsner malt. Can get it pretty cheap at local HBS

Did anybody ever brew this with Castle pale and pilsner malt. Can get it pretty cheap at local HBS

Yep, we routinely go back and forth between Dingeman's and Castle. Some say Dingeman's is slightly more bready on the Pale. The Pils seems about the same.

Yep, we routinely go back and forth between Dingeman's and Castle. Some say Dingeman's is slightly more bready on the Pale. The Pils seems about the same.

Maybe castle pils and Fawcett marris otter. I love the bready flavor

I just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this delicious recipe. My buddy has tried about 15 different beers of mine and he said this was his favorite one yet. And it's only been 3 months since the brew day so I suspect it will only get better. Cheers!

About to make my starter for this brew. I know i need 320 billion cells for this beer. I am adjusting the started size based on the age of the white labs vial. I assume that you do this as well CSI

I am going to brew this next Saturday and I am torn between two fermentation profiles. I have a chamber with hot and cold capabilities so I should be able to do both options

Option one controlled rise from 64 to 80 over 6 days hold at 80 till hits 1.013 to 1.015 then crash 65

Option two pitch at 64 set ambient temperature around 68 and let the yeast self rise to 80 and hold it there until hits 1.013 to 1.015 then crash

Option two is from the other post some say it only takes 36 hours to reach 80. Is this too fast? Dont want hot alcohols

I am going to try the under pitch with 270 billion cells. With the age of the yeast the starter was a little over 3 liters. Gave it a good blast of pure 02 and some DAP yeast nutrient

We pitch with around 280 billion/ 5 gallons. However, this is a very active and very fresh krausen. If composing a basic stir-plate starter I always suggest starting as close to the Fix rate as possible.

We pitch with around 280 billion/ 5 gallons. However, this is a very active and very fresh krausen. If composing a basic stir-plate starter I always suggest starting as close to the Fix rate as possible.

Any word on a write-up for your krausen harvesting techniques?

Thanks Il'll either step up the starter or pitch another vial at brew day

I brewed this Nov 2 2014
Bottled Dec 27
Entered the first comp with this beer, and it was Judged Feb 7

So with this beer being 3 months old it scored a 41 and 40. Got first place in that category and 2nd place over all.
This beer is awesome.

I brewed this Nov 2 2014
Bottled Dec 27
Entered the first comp with this beer, and it was Judged Feb 7

So with this beer being 3 months old it scored a 41 and 40. Got first place in that category and 2nd place over all.
This beer is awesome.

Do you remember what your estimated pitch rate was

Any word on a write-up for your krausen harvesting techniques?

We have a Westy 6 and a Westy 12 soon to be brewed back to back. (The Westy 6 is the source for the krausen capture). I'll try and take pics of the krausen harvest process and the flocc'd harvest. I should have this up no later than the end of February.

Brewed this one this morning, can't wait till it's ready! Did a 9.5 gallon batch as double batch maxed out my mash tun. Never had a real Westy 12, but figured for my first quad may as well go big or go home...

Brewed this on Saturday missed my starting gravity ended up with 1.088 or 1.089? Not too bad didnt boil of 1/4 gallon for whatever reason.

Pitched yeast at 5:00pm at 64 degrees it actually had krousen 5 hours after pitch. Today its at 68 will raise to 80 by the end of the week.

Worried that its fermenting to fast and wont have much character

Latest posts

Back