Well this is embarassing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenphen

Reaction score
So Im doing my first all gain batch at 2.5 gallons. Im using 4.88 lbs of grain to replicate "tuckers ale", which Ive never tried but I figured why not. I made three runnings, mash with 1.5 gallons @ 168ish steep for an hour, added a gallon @175 and then the last "1.44" gallons at the same temp. I get my OG and its at 1.01. Lol, obviously the wort is gunna be dilluted if im shooting for 2.5 but according to effiency this is terrible! What I dont understand is if I get a good OG Prepitch at 2.5 gallons, it says Im at 75% eff. Someone tell me what Im doing wrong lol

your mash temp is too high. 150 to 155F or so would've been better. And that other gallon should've been at or below 170F to my understanding. Not a lot of conversion to simple sugars going on there.

Uhhh I thought thermodynamics says I need I higher temp to be steeping at 150 range...

In AG,you're mashing,not steeping. Close,but not the same. Mashing needs 1-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain. Closer to 150F,more sugars,lighter color,closer 160F,less sugars,more color.

You denatured all your proteins and as a result, no conversion to sugar since the enzymes cannot function perform their function. Mash at a lower temperature.

phenphen said:
No im saying strike was at around 168, it settled at 154. Recipe called for 156

A mash temp of 154 is fine. What was your grain bill? How well was it milled?

Recipe is 3.25lb rahr 2-row, .625lb gambrinus honey malt, .375lb briess cara-pils.

Witg .25ozmagnum@60min, .75oz amarillo @5 and 0 min.

Milled using lhbs mill, but the grain looked good as far as i could tell. Empty husks minimum powder abd liittle white gobs of starch

One thing i was unclear on: when i made my "mash" water, after i let it do its thing for 60 minutes, I vorlaufed like it was my first runnings. Lautered at 170ish to stop enzyme production with a gallon and 1.44 gallons

I'm going to make some assumptions, you're going to have to fill me in on the gaps:
So Im doing my first all gain batch at 2.5 gallons. Im using 4.88 lbs of grain to replicate "tuckers ale", which Ive never tried but I figured why not. I made three runnings, mash with 1.5 gallons @ 168ish steep for an hour,
OK, if you added 1.5 gal at 168, you'll arrive at about 154*, which is an OK temp for mashing for an hour.

... added a gallon @175 and then the last "1.44" gallons at the same temp.
Your second infusion would get you to about 162, the third infusion gets you to about 165. Not sure I see the point. Whose instructions are you following?
I get my OG and its at 1.01.
How exactly did you get the OG? How much wort did you run off (I'm guessing about 3.5 gallons)? How long did you boil? What was the post-boil volume? What temperature did you take your reading at?
Lol, obviously the wort is gunna be dilluted if im shooting for 2.5 but according to effiency this is terrible! What I dont understand is if I get a good OG Prepitch at 2.5 gallons, it says Im at 75% eff. Someone tell me what Im doing wrong lol
Well, I think 75% efficiency is a lot to expect from your first all-grain batch. It's hard to say what one (or two or three) thing you did wrong until you tell us a bit more about your methods.

I just finished boiling; its at 2 gallons. I started with 3.5, but I sparged with 4. I used a hydrometer for the OG. I think it must have been too hot....anyone else melt their hydro tubes??? Lol Also, Im allowed to top off with DI to lower post boil OG, right?

I was aiming for 170-175 range with sparge water, following "how to brew"

Well guys, Im sittin at 1.070 before I dillute to 2.5 gal. Im think itll be in the recipe range of 1.052. This just mean my preboil Og reading was wrong somehow? I tasted it...and its real sweet and bitter...

also, this is my second brew, but i used the whirlfloc tab split in half. I think it's working great, but the wort looks like miso soup! lol is this normal? most is setting down at the bottom and it seems crystal clear apart for the collodial clumps

alright, well it looks like i'm stuck with whirlfloc then. My malt extract was no where as clear as this wort. (I didn't use any irish moss; clarifying agent)

Back