SS raspberry clone: mash temps & attenuation #s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joyceman

Reaction score
I was tasked with making a batch similar to Samuel Smith's Organic Raspberry. Theres not alot that I found via google on this beyond OG, ABV and IBUs. The numbers are 1.065, 5.1 & 11-15 depending on the source. Assuming as a fruit beer it has some wheat, no hops beyond bittering and at least an lb of fruit/gallon I put this together for a 2.5 gallon batch.

3.5 2 row
1.5 lb wheat malt
1 lb unmalted wheat
.2 oz northern brewer for 60
3.1 lbs of raspberry puree (40 oz can with a listed gravity of 1.040-1.053) in secondary

FG numbers are where Im having issues. My 2 least attenuating yeasts on hand are pacific ale yeast & burton ale yeast. Both of which will take me up to 6%. Given what I know about the fermentability of fruit, I expect that FG number to drop even lower than what Im calculating. In addition, Ive been getting lower FG numbers than anticipated last couple of batches.

How high would you say I need to mash this to keep the FG up in the low 20s and my ABV around 5? I was thinking around 156 or maybe even 158, but thats alot higher than I usually mash and want to get opinions on if this recipe will be soup at those numbers.

Back