Weldless Thermometer - Second Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepspeaking

Reaction score
On my brew day I am currently using a 12" dial thermometer for pretty much all temp checking, but it doesn't reach the bottom of the 15gal kettle. So I attach it to my SS racking cane with some binder clips... which works but the steam fogs the glass, and there is room for error/breakage and feels a bit clumsy. So spur of the moment I bought a brew kettle thermometer for my 15gal kettle. Now I am realizing that I probably won't have much use for that. It is either boiling or it isn't. My old kettle is a 7.5 gal. So I'm thinking about installing it on the old kettle and using it as an HLT. Or just returning it and using that $20 on something more useful.

So the questions :

What are your thoughts on a weldless thermometer?

Brew Kettle: Is there a benefit?

HLT: I can see it as coming in handy, but is it a trinket or a useful tool?

What thermometers are you guys using for the deeper kettles?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they would be good for a secondary mash temp gauge. I use a ink bird dual relay for mashing, so no need for the weldless thermometer in my mash cooler. I could how ever use one in my HLT like you suggested. That would be it though.

Now I am realizing that I probably won't have much use for that. It is either boiling or it isn't.

I like having a dial thermometer on my boil kettle. It's nice to know when you're close to a boil and it's time to watch for a boil over until after hot break. On the other side, if you use an immersion chiller, it's handy to know when you've reached pitch temperature.

So I'm thinking about installing it on the old kettle and using it as an HLT. Or just returning it and using that $20 on something more useful.

I think you just answered your own question. I got an $80. Blichmann Adjustable Weldless Brewmometer for Christmas --- and returned it. I need a thermometer that is more portable and not confined to just the brew kettle. There also is the aspect of the stove flame licking up around the side of the kettle and making contact with the thermometer. And crud build-up in the hardware on the inside. And...

I wrestled with the choice, too, but felt OK about it after sending it back.

I think you just answered your own question. I got an $80. Blichmann Adjustable Weldless Brewmometer for Christmas --- and returned it. I need a thermometer that is more portable and not confined to just the brew kettle.
Well, he did answered your question. For the price of the Blichmann, he could buy one of the one's he has for his kettle, mlt and hlt and still have enough left to buy one of these long stem Thermoworks (on sale for $22). Plenty fast and accurate for someone not requiring big bling.

There also is the aspect of the stove flame licking up around the side of the kettle and making contact with the thermometer. And crud build-up in the hardware on the inside. And...
You do realize that if mounted correctly and at boiling temperature, these are not valid concerns?

Last edited:
buy one of these long stem Thermoworks (on sale for $22). Plenty fast and accurate for someone not requiring big bling.

I like that long stem one.

I need a thermometer that is more portable and not confined to just the brew kettle.

I agree. Reading this it dawned on me that with my current setup a kettle thermometer would be like 18" off the ground at best.

I wanted a long stem Thermometer, but wasn't finding anything longer than 12", and with that waterproof rating, and at $26 I think its all go.

Thanks guys. :mug:

My weldless thermometers are at a better sight line, so it easy to keep an eye on what's going on with them, but I still use a hand held to confirm the readings from time to time during my brewday. I'd suggest mounting the weldless that you have and also purchasing the Thermoworks. No matter how high tech or expensive a thermometer is, there's still the chance of failure. I always use at least two thermometers to reduce the odds of having something a basic as temperature ruin my beer.

I like having a dial thermometer on my boil kettle. It's nice to know when you're close to a boil and it's time to watch for a boil over until after hot break. On the other side, if you use an immersion chiller, it's handy to know when you've reached pitch temperature.

+1

For me, this is very handy

Back