Weldless bulkhead for kettle and attach a sight glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Sorry if the title was confusing :)

Would it work if i did a weldless bulk head to my kettle, then attached something to the valve nipple and then have a 90* turn up to a clear tube? i don't like having many points of failure for the water system (eg more points to leak) :) think it would be accurate enough?
just thinking about that, that way when i'm done measuring i could just close the valve, take off the sight glass and be done. that way as well, i'm not chancing anything else breaking (glass into the brew, etc.

TIA!

i would think that messing with fittings during the boil would be more pain and potential for leaking than installing a second bulkhead properly once. technically it would work, but it seems like you're making more work for yourself in the long run.

do one of these instead is my suggestion:
1) install 2 bulkheads. 1 for valve, 1 for combo thermometer/sightglass.
2) mark your mash paddle in 1/2 gallon incraments and just use that.

If you use a tee and attach a thermometer, its fine.

if you use a tee and attach a ball valve, then whenever your flowing through the ball valve, the sight glass will not be accurate.

cool, thanks for the help guys! :)
going to do a bulkhead for now and sub in everything else here in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back