Welded Keggle still leaking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
Ok I actually had great success with a weldless keg. I had a guy weld all my couplers for a great deal so I went for it..figure why not..Now Im frustrated with it still leaking. I have a hell of a time threading a close ss nippel into the coupler..used plenty of tape on the nipple. anyone still use a locking nut and or washer? what size nipple lenth did you use..any or all advice is helpful..still getting a slow leak with the welded setup.

ugh

Jay

Did the coupler get damaged or some material get welded inside of it? Is it leaking from the threaded area or around the outside of the coupler. If inside you might have to re-thread. What about the "guy" who did the "great deal", can't he fix it?

The wleds are great, no damage or weld in the coupler. Im just still getting leaking at the nipple for some reeason. Looking for suggestions with them, do people use o rings still or locking nuts to help secure between the valve and coupler is all.

Jay

If you have welded couplers, teflon on the threads is all you'll need. It's possible the threads could have gotten damaged a little during welding. The guy that did my first one didn't realize I"d need the inside threads and didn't take precautions to protect them. He ended up rethreading it for me. See if that guy can run a tap through it to clean up the threads.

The coupling probably got a bit more heat than desireable and it may have warped slightly out of round. What you want to do is oil up a 1/2" NPT pipe tap and chase those threads out. One full turn in, one half turn out, repeat.

1/2 in pipe tap? Ok im new to that. can I get them at home depot? So just thread from the outside..by hand? I have 3 of the 4 couplers working fine leak free, its just the one with a slow drip...by looking inside the thread it seems ok..but if it has a slight warp than this could be the problem..

Bobby thanks for the advice..could you explain a little better? I dont want to trash the coupler completely by doing it wrong.

Thanks

Jay

Home Depot and Lowes don't carry the 1/2" NPT tap. Check Sears or maybe even Harbor Freight. I found a 1/4" NPT at Lowes but no 1/2"

For a one time use, I'd definitely go Harbor Freight. Just lube it up and thread it in as if it were a pipe nipple. Make sure you're actually catching the existing threads and not making new ones. It shouldn't offer too much resistance but you'd definitely need to use large wrench. When it starts getting harder to turn, back off a half turn, then keep going.

I noticed some small nics on my nipples (insert joke). So I threaded my brass compression piece I use with my dip tube and didn't notice any leaks. I didn't even use teflon. So I'm ordering 2 new ss nipples in hopes this does the trick. I lubed the brass piece and it threaded good much further than the nipple did. I must have banged it at sime point and nicked them. If this does not do the trick I will order from harbor freight.

Back