Weizen - Wheat vs Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshi99

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking to make a weizen and most of the recipes show more or less a 50:50 split between Pilsner malt and wheat.

Is there any danger / reasons why the % of wheat cannot go as high as say 70% of the total grain bill?

Also will more wheat result in it being more orange than yellow in colour?

Regards

I brewed a weizen with 70% wheat and 30% pilsner, without much problems, not even BIAB.

Wheat is lower in colour than pilsner, your wheat beer will be lighter in colour. I use wheat in a Duvel clone to get a lighter colour.

The only danger I know of using too much wheat is getting a stuck mash and not having enough enzymes to convert the starches. I brewed a weizenbock with 60% wheat and had no issues. I have heard of 70% wheat beers. Try it and see how you like it. Worst case, toss in some rice hulls to improve your sparge.

The only danger I know of using too much wheat is getting a stuck mash and not having enough enzymes to convert the starches. I brewed a weizenbock with 60% wheat and had no issues. I have heard of 70% wheat beers. Try it and see how you like it. Worst case, toss in some rice hulls to improve your sparge.
Malted wheat has a ton of enzymes. Grodziskie is 100% malted wheat. If you BIAB, stuck mashes are not a problem! (Though the bag can take quite some time to drain.)

Also will more wheat result in it being more orange than yellow in colour?
The more wheat you use, the paler colour you get.
A 100% wheat Grätzer is paler than a traditional (50/50) Weissbier.
No orange hues whatsoever.

I brew 100% Wheat Grätzers and Wheatwines. With BIAB, there's no such thing as stuck sparge.
I like my 100% Wheatwines much more than classic Wheat-and-Barley Wheatwines.
I was thinking of brewing a 100% Wheat Lager once but didn't try thinking it might come out too tart to my liking.

Last edited:
I brewed a weizen with 70% wheat and 30% pilsner, without much problems, not even BIAB.

Wheat is lower in colour than pilsner, your wheat beer will be lighter in colour. I use wheat in a Duvel clone to get a lighter colour.
Thank you very much for your reply. What would give some of the Weizens I try the orange colour / tones? Bit of Munich / Vienna perhaps?

Latest posts

Back