Weird fermentation. Hoping it isn't mold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a stout today and everything went according to plan. Pitched yeast from a starter that went vigorously last night and dropped out of suspension hard this morning. Fridges the starter until a couple hours before pitch, and the moment before pitch I poured off the liquid.

That was about four hours ago, and it's in a temp controlled fridge set at 64 degrees fahrenheit. I was checking on my brew before bed and saw two blobs in there.

Is there any chance this isn't mold? It seems really fast after pitch for there to be so much if it is, but with 11 batches under my belt I've never seen a yeast do this. The yeast is Mangrove Jack's British Ale, which I've never used before.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498448376.467484.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics, however it looks like healthy fermentation, thats the way the krausen starts to form. Check it in about 1 week.

Mold is really noticeable, that doesn't look like mold

It is normal. Mold would take a lot longer to form than that anyway. Mold would also be floating on top of the liquid, white and fuzzy.

Back