Weird Brew/Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of hefeweizen styled beer on thursday and my fermentation is stuck. My ingredients were 7 lbs liquid extract. 1lbs crystal malt 1/2 lb honey malt, and about 3 lbs of honey. and, no hops(store was out!) Im wondering if this fermentation is stuck because of the amount of honey I used? I hear when making mead, often times fermentation slows due to honey. It has very slight signs of fermentation starting like white spots towards the top(i dont think its mold or anything bad) but anyway im not getting any type of bubbling from the air lock. any suggestions?

Should be interesting with no hops!

Your fermentation could be done, but there's no way to know without taking a hydrometer sample.

Well unfortunatley I was never very big on taking hydrometer tests, but I really dont think that its done fermenting because it has showed almost no signs of c02 releases. Another thing could be the temperature, its around the mid 60's. I bought yeast nutrient today and covered it to try and get the temperature up.

Yeah I put the yeast in. Its one of those slap the pack to activate the yeast gigs. I dont know, Ive pitched the yeast nutrient but still no signs of fermentation. maby the yeast was killed off. Maby i should just add more yeast.

I think you should warm up to taking hydrometer tests. Otherwise, everything ends up being guesswork.

Airlock bubbling should never be used as an indication of fermentation or lack of...THe hydrometer is the only way to tell...

MOST of the so called "stuck" fermentations around here aren't...they are usually "diagnosed" by people going by bubbling and NOT a hydro reading...when we actually convince them to take a reading they usually find out that all is well.

Take a read of this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Good blog....well after adding the yeast nutrient yesterday, today im seeing signs of fermentation(by the airlock) but I for sure want to start using my hydrometer, because before this all my baches have behaved exactly the same, so once this one reacted differently I wasnt sure what was going on. However one thing which ive noticed is that thier isnt that usual 1-2 inch layer of foam on top (real term?) and there never was. What is this layer of foam anyway? also what do you all use to get some beer sample to take a hydro test? I know you dont pour it out from the carboy.

The real term is Krauzen, it is the house that yeasts build while they are eating sugar and peeing alchohol and farting co2....Usually only top fermenting yeasts (ale) have them...I believe it is less noticeable in lagers....I'm not sure since I have never brewed any.

Some krauzens are thick, some are thin, some stay up for awhile, and others come up in a day or so and fall in only a few hours...so you really can't go by them either...hydro, hydro, hydro...:mug:

Back