Weihenstephaner Hefe Clone - Hop Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollywoodMX

Reaction score
I'm going to brew this clone in a couple days.

I have the 3068 smack pack,

4.2 lbs of Bavarian WDME (65%WDME/35%DME)
2.1 lbs of Pilsen DME

Hallertauer hops..

Now this where my questions comes in, I didn't buy the German version of Hallertauer (German Hallertauer), I bought the US version (Hallertauer), will that be a problem?

Second question I have seen many different split of hops recipes using different ratios and I am confused on which one to pick;

This:

1/2oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1/2oz Hallertauer @ 10-15 min

Or this:

3/4oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1/4oz Hallertauer @ 10-15 min

Or this:

1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1oz Hallertauer @ 10-15 min

Or This:

1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

+1 to what mbird said. I usually use 1 oz of 6.4% alpha acid Hallertauer in my hefes. I don't believe there is that much of a difference between German and American Hallertauer, at least nothing that I can taste.

I agree also. I really depends on the AAU. Rent batches of Hallertauer are higher than in years past. I usually only use 1 oz. at 60 min.

Almost a SMASH style.

In my opinion, the best Hefes are very simple.

The yeast (and fermentation temperature) are the keys for the best Hefes.

I prefer mine very dirty (cloudy) and lots of clove and fruit.

My favorite Yeasts are WLP380 & Wyest 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™

Patrick

Hollywood,
you're going to get about 27% utilization from your 60 hop additions and about 12% from your 15 min. additions. You first need to determine how many ibu's you want in the finished beer and that, along with the aa% of your Hallertauer will tell you how much to include in your recipe.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Ya its not so much how bitter I want it, I just want the right process to match the production beer and I'm looking for a consensus with people here in order to clone as close as possible.

Yes, I think it is how bitter you want it....kind of.

If you want to clone the beer, you need to match the IBUs...and that is entirely dependent on the AAU and the time you are boiling the hops.

You should run the calcs. based on your specific hops (AAU) and see if you can match the IBUs of Weihenstephan.

I did a quick search, and couldn't find a definitive answer. I would guess right around 20 (or less) IBUs is where you want to be.

Patrick

As an Update this was the final recipe

Wyeast 3068 smack pack, 73-77%AA

4.2 lbs of Bavarian WDME (65%WDME/35%DME)
2.1 lbs of Pilsen DME

1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Yeast nutrients @ 10 min

Pitched at 23 celcius.
23 L.
OG 1.048
With 76% AA should get me 4.7% alcohol which is very close. (Actual is 4.6).
the 1 oz at 60 was exactly 14 IBU's.

Taste before pitch. Best tasting beer before pitch I have had. I was impressed, the hops are really light but gives a really nice clean flavor which is what this beer is all about, probably could have gotten away with a small addition oz at 15 min too. 2 days fermenting now at my closet smells like a elephant size banana! haha.

My fermentation temp is a little on the high side of the scale but I the GF and I love the banana/bubble gum esters vs the clove. I'm excited I think this is going to turn out real nice.

The bittering qualities of the 1oz I use is barely detectable with all the yeast flavors going on.

I believe it's 14 IBUs. Weihenstephaner Hefe.
Ding ding ding! Bittering in most Hefeweizens will be in the 10-14 IBU range. Just enough to offset the sweetness, certainly not enough to have a hoppy character. I recommend adding just enough at 60m to achieve 10-14 IBU's. I don't add hops later, because I'm not looking for any of that hop character...I just need bittering which I get at 60m.

American wheats can be a different story.

banana1.jpg

Smells good in there!

Back