We Have a Project - PACMAN YEAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chairman Cheyco said:
If you want to split that Pacman for multiple brews, you can split it and freeze it in glycerin. Then you can use each one of the divisions three times. You should be able to get at least four vials for storage, so that's 12 brews anyway.
I suppose that's probably a better idea - and you could stretch it to 30+ brews by re-pitching a few times. Then again, I could invest in some slants and actually do the laboratory-style yeast propagation that the "big guys" probably use.

3 days ago I started a batch of 1.077 OG beer with a new pack of pacman yeast. I haven't seen the inside of my carboy churn so FAST!!! It's moving faster, ALOT faster, than my wort with an airstone in it!!! Not a huge krausen but ALOT of co2 being produced and churning. It's NUTS!!! I love pacman yeast! I wonder if you go to the brewery they'd give you some used yeast straight from a fermenter. I mean, don't they just toss it anyhow? *shug* I'd love to show up and get more yeast than what a starter yields then put it on glycerine and make starters from that. hehehe *evil grin* Has anyone else been on one of the rogue brewery tours? I must say it was a relegous experience. It is something I won't forget anytime soon. I ony live 80 miles from it but with my wierd work schedule I don't make it to the coast very often. :( oh well, I will return, soon, and I will imbibe more Old Crustacian and more Brutal Bitter!:rockin:

I recently fell in love with amarillo and simcoe hops in concert together. Here are two beers I have made so far: Peg Leg Pale Ale AND... Dubbel Booty And one I have been playing with. Again, with Simcoe and Amarillo hops. Leviathain After that barleywine I'll have enough yeast to make 20-30 batches or so if I glycerine the yeast cake and make starters, then glycerine those yeast cakes make starters and go to 3rd generation. Think I'll try some other hops soon. Maybe some single specialty grains to really nail down their flavors as well. *shrug* Anyhow, the Peg Leg Pale Ale Is ROCKIN'. Very tasty and it hasn't aged 3 weeks yet. Poped a top on one of the 6 bottles tonight to see how it was going... It seemed fully carbonated. This rogue yeast acts FAST! Anyhow, these are some ideas I've had. If they inspire some, GREAT! If my ideas can be improved apon EVEN BETTER!!! I don't claim to know everything, in fact, I'm just blundering along happily. And thank you to everyone who has helped me in the past. I do appreciate all of your imput! :) :mug: :rockin: :rockin:

Here's my plan for my first PacMan brew (15 gallon AG):

Floor Kill Ale

26 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
8 lbs Munich Malt - 20L
4 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 18.5 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 9.2 IBU
2.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (20 min) 10.2 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (20 min) 5.1 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [4.00%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
3.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs Rogue PacMan (Wyeast Labs) (at least a healthy 1L starter)

Est Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.3%
Bitterness: 42.9 IBU
Est Color: 16.1 SRM

Probably a single step mash around 154-ish. It's a very Dead Guy-ish recipe...or at least that's the intent.

EDIT:
Brewed this last weekend (1 Dec), and it's coming along nicely.

The reason for the name is this: a "floor kill" is what happens when you scrape your adversary off on the ground (floor) in air-to-air combat - almost always making him a dead guy.

Ok guys, so I started a batch a while ago when i first started this thread and now have the finished product, thought it's still a little green, here's my reaction. IT'S DAMN GOOD. I basically tried to make a dead guy type ale, with a little variations in flavors. The color is dead on, the flavor is fantastic, very heavy ale with nice maltiness and some good hop character. It's ages 2 weeks in bottles after 1 week primary, one week seconday. Here's my recipe, i highly recommend it:

Klain Corpse Ale:
PACMAN Yeast
8 lbs Light LME
12oz Caramunich
12oz Munich malt
6oz Crystal 40L
6oz Carahell
1 tsp Irish Moss
1 tsp Gypsum
1oz 7.2% Perle Bittering
.5oz 7.2% Perle Flavoring

Take it for what it's worth guys.

Bump...now that there are some folks online...any comments on my recipe above? Still very new to the AG thing, so I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit.

EDIT: With the speed at which this keeps moving to the bottom of the "New Posts" list, I either created the perfect recipe, or no one wants to read about PacMan anymore. Or no one likes me...

i would reply if i did AG but i just do specialty. But, just to let you know Pacman is a pretty amazing yeast. That first batch turned out great and hat 78% att. and then just for ****s i decided to make a Belgium Dubbel on top of the yeast cake and made it really heavy. Ended up getting above 12% ABV and it taste fantastic. So, if you are considering going high gravity, do it, it can handle it, and handle it well. Thank you Rogue!

Hi Yuri, I am going to brew a Dead Guy clone as well. I'm loving the Pacman yeast so far. I did a Brown Ale with an OG of 1.066 and got it down to 1.012. I will be sampling some today. I also have a 60 Schilling Scottish Ale in the primary right now acting as a starter for my Dead Guy clone that I will brew a week from this Saturday.

I will be using this yeast as long as it is available for purchase or as long as I can successfully reuse it from batch to batch.

Wonder how high this yeast will go. I know it'll go 12.5 from the brewery tour. Wonder if it could crest 15%... *evil grin* I am thinking about making a 1/2 gallon batch with an OG high enough to make a 20% beer and just see how high it gets. If nothing else I can chug what I get and get a killer buzzzz goin after the test... LOL!!!:mug: :rockin: :tank: :drunk:

Well, my first Pacman experience was an interesting one. I had the Pacman shipped from Austin Homebrew to Boston w/ the icepack. When it arrives, the package was still cool and not puffed up at all, which was encouraging. I cooked up a liter starter and pitched it into a flip-top w/ fermentation lock. Then I went bowling while my bro babysat the goods. About an hour later, I get a call saying the thing is foaming right up through the lock.....aggressively! I couldn't get home in time, but the emergency plan ended up being cleaning and sanitizing a gallon growler, blowing it off, transferring the starter to it and hooking up a blow off tube. By the time I get home, the thing is chugging away blowing off crap like it's a 5 galon batch!!! This Pacman stuff is nutty!

I figured it would be best to get the wort (AHS Shakespeare Stout Clone) out the door ASAP, so she's going to be pitched within the next hour or so. Can't wait to see what this stuff will do with the whole batch!!!

A few weeks ago I made up a 7.5ish % batch of beer to get enough yeast together to make a barleywine. 7 or 8 days ago I put that 11.5 ish percent wort on top of that cake. I think 4 days ago the bubbles stopped coming out of the blow off tube. I am sure that it's done fermenting ALREADY!!! that pacman stuff is incredible. I think I need more carboys for secondary fermenters. I know that 7.5ish beer I made was done fermenting in about the same time. I just need a day off from work to get the smaller beer in bottles so I can get my barleywine off the cake. hehehe, that cake is goin in a gallon growler for sure.should last quite awhile. :rockin: Can't wait to goof off and see how high of an ABV I can get before it dies!!!!! That's going to be fun!!!:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

dOGHAIR said:
And again, I'd like to know what's to stop us making a huge starter and storing lots and lots of first generation (or is it second) yeasts on glycerin in the freezer?
Absolutely nothing. I was just thinking about doing this with my next batch - a 15 gallon brew. I'm planning on harvesting the entire yeast cake and storing it in a large jar or 2L soda bottle. I'll probably just refrigerate it and use it as required to make a starter whenever I want to use PacMan.

Yuri_Rage said:
Glycerin/glycerol is the correct stuff to use. Glycol is the stuff to avoid - that's antifreeze.

Propolene Glycol (PG) is a great humidity stabilizer for humidors. I use it in all of mine.

PG is also occasionally used as an anti-freeze though usually it is ethylene glycol.

Glycerol and glycerin are the same thing. There are some food grade versions and some that are not food grade.

You should have no trouble finding it at a compounding pharmacy.

I was the one who had typed that it was glycol (which is in fact anti-freeze,) and I also corrected it.

As far as the glycerol/glycerin debate goes:

Glycerol, also well known as glycerin and glycerine, and less commonly as propane-1,2,3-triol, 1,2,3-propanetriol, 1,2,3-trihydroxypropane, glyceritol, and glycyl alcohol is a colorless, odorless, hygroscopic, and sweet-tasting viscous liquid. Glycerol is a sugar alcohol and has three hydrophilic alcoholic hydroxyl groups (OH-) that are responsible for its solubility in water.

Edit: okay, I didn't see this linked to before. I still think the terms can be used interchangeably and I'm not changing my post further.

Racked my barleywine to 2nd last night. Got a FULL gallon BUM-JUG COMPLETELY FULL of ROGUE PACMAN yeast!!! I am almost more excited about that than the beer in the 2nd... LOL!!!!:ban: go figure... hehehhe

dOGHAIR said:
I had the pleasure of attending my first beer fest the other week and it was an "on wood" theme. Apparently the first all wood aged beerfest.
The north coast old stock was incredible.

If this was the fest at the Bistro I really wanted to go but was unable to make it. Glad to hear you had a good time.

It sounds like you're doing everything right with the glycerin. The glycerin is more dense than water so it shouldn't have taken significant shaking to get it to displace the water over the yeast. I can't wait to hear the results after a good amount of time in the freezer.

Too funny, I drove home last night from LA (6.5 hour drive) and heard an episode of Craft Brewing Radio where they mentioned the name. I didn't realize they were such infamous partiers over there.

Well reading this thread was time consuming:drunk: I was thinking of brewing monday, Was planning a chocolate stout. Went to the beer fridge to get the English Ale yeast I had washed but guess what? I have a lager, a pilsner, a cali ale and pacman but no ale yeast:( . I knew Rogue did a stout so I thought I might use the pacman. Does anyone think I will have any issues with doing a Young's Double chocolate stout with Pacman? It calls for Wyeast 1318 but I don't know what Pacmans atten and floc is.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Well reading this thread was time consuming:drunk: I was thinking of brewing monday, Was planning a chocolate stout. Went to the beer fridge to get the English Ale yeast I had washed but guess what? I have a lager, a pilsner, a cali ale and pacman but no ale yeast:( . I knew Rogue did a stout so I thought I might use the pacman. Does anyone think I will have any issues with doing a Young's Double chocolate stout with Pacman? It calls for Wyeast 1318 but I don't know what Pacmans atten and floc is.
PacMan is most certainly an ale yeast. It has "high attenuation" and "very high flocculation." I'm sure you could substitute PacMan for any fairly clean ale yeast.

Great news. Good thing too since I sad the hell with it and did my starter anyway:p . Cooling now and almost ready to pitch.

Thanks for the info Yuri

I ordered some pacman the other day and it came this afternoon! :ban:
I think I'll put it in the amber that I have on the list.

with my pacman, and will repitch an IPA on the cake in 3 weeks....

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 12/25/2006
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jon
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 39.8 %
3.30 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 37.5 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.5 %
0.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.7 %
1.00 oz Magnum [13.60%] (30 min) Hops 33.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.60%] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Pacman (Wyeast Labs #Special) [Starter 700 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.4 %
Bitterness: 44.7 IBU Calories: 294 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.4 SRM Color: Color

What do you guys think?

It has been bubbling away for 4 days like a mad man since I pitched...wahoooo!:rockin:

Made a Dead Guy last night. Unfortunately I brewed on a whim and didn't make a starter. I smacked the pack about 1 PM and pitched at midnight. The pack had swelled up nicely. By this morning it's barely bubbling. I've been aerating (shaking) occasionally throughout the morning and I hope it will get going soon. Some yeast is clumping on the top. I guess I should get a diffusion stone. Or is shaking vigorously still a viable option for the minimalist homebrewer? ( I just spent a bunch to make the jump to AG and still need to buy a grain mill and scale)

If it doesn't start up soon, should I add some nutrient?

Will a cheap aquarium pump work with a diffusion stone for aerating?

Thanks

8string said:
Made a Dead Guy last night. Unfortunately I brewed on a whim and didn't make a starter. I smacked the pack about 1 PM and pitched at midnight. The pack had swelled up nicely. By this morning it's barely bubbling. I've been aerating (shaking) occasionally throughout the morning and I hope it will get going soon. Some yeast is clumping on the top. I guess I should get a diffusion stone. Or is shaking vigorously still a viable option for the minimalist homebrewer? ( I just spent a bunch to make the jump to AG and still need to buy a grain mill and scale)

If it doesn't start up soon, should I add some nutrient?

Will a cheap aquarium pump work with a diffusion stone for aerating?

Thanks

Depending on the size of your carboy, it can take up to 48 hours before you notice bubbles. Even if the pack hadn't swelled up, as long as you didn't pitch on hot wort, it'll propagate. RDWHAHB.

Yeah, It's in a 6.5 gallon. I just got used to quick starts since Ive been making starters at least 24 hours prior. I'm not worried, in fact since its past noon, It might be time for a homebrew to minimize all worries! Cheers! thanks

I also explored the aeration topics in the forum, great info!

Back