We created a ridiculous spreadsheet for Wort Correction - Feel free to poke holes in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knee Deep

Reaction score
Hello all,

My brewing friends and I created a spreadsheet originally intended to calculate ABV while accounting for a Wort Correction Factor based on Hydrometer and Refractometer readings. We've been using it successfully for a few brew sessions now, and I figured it might be a good idea to throw it up on here and see if A: it can help some brewers out, or B: it's an utter failure and we're doing everything wrong.

The spreadsheet uses formulas for calculation from two sources:
  1. Brewers Friend - Wort Correction Factor
  2. Refractometer Calculator - Sean Terrill

These sources are linked on the sheet as well.

The first group of columns allows us to track our beers: names, key dates, projected values, etc. Then we get into the ABV section. Next there's the Pre-boil brix, which doesn't affect any calculations, but is just for reference.

Then we get into the nitty gritty...

The Original Brix (refractometer), the Original Gravity (hydrometer), and the Final Brix (Refractometer) all calculate together to produce a final ABV estimate. To the far far right of the sheet, you can see the individual formulas in action. The sheet will find the Wort Correction Factor (WCF) first. Then using that number, it will calculate the original corrected brix. Then it converts the Original Brix to Original Gravity (this makes the ABV calculation easier). Next the form takes the WCF and calculates the Final Brix and Final Gravity, but with these formulas it makes additional corrections for the presence of alcohol (refractometers don't play nice with alcohol).

As far as I can tell, it works... but I'm curious, and somewhat scared, to see how far off I am.

Here's the spreadsheet

- Ron

Latest posts

Back