Ways to increase FG in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFSbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way to increase the FG in an ipa while using Cal ale yeast? Should I add more specialty grains? Mash higher? I have been having my beers come out a little too dry for my taste and would like to increase the FG a bit while using cal ale since that's my favorite for hoppy beers.
Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

What recipe are you starting from? What's your mash temp been?

Are you primarily looking for more sweetness, or more body?

So far it's 9 lbs American two-row, 1 lb honey malt, 1/2 lb cry 40
i'm looking for a slightly sweeter recipe. The first time i brewed this I used 9 oz honey and the same amount of crystal and it turned out great but i did a partial mash with pale dme. The second time it was AG with a 150 mash temp and it was way too dry for me. Should I give this a shot or maybe bump the specialties up some more?

So far it's 9 lbs American two-row, 1 lb honey malt, 1/2 lb cry 40
i'm looking for a slightly sweeter recipe. The first time i brewed this I used 9 oz honey and the same amount of crystal and it turned out great but i did a partial mash with pale dme. The second time it was AG with a 160 mash temp and it was way too dry for me. Should I give this a shot or maybe bump the specialties up some more?

If a recipe with a pound of honey malt and .5 pound crystal 40L was mashed at 160, it should have finished at something above 1.020. That's a very high mash temp. What was your actual FG reading?

Back