Way too sweet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob1979

Reaction score
So I brewed a beer with malt extract, caramel, and goldlings. I tested it and dry hopped it with Mellinium, because it was too sweet for my taste. Right at bottling it was much better. Now its been a couple weeks and it is crabbed great, plus cold conditioned. It's back to turn your face inside out sweet, I mean more than soda. It's only 9 pints, but I'm not sure i can get through it. I don't like the idea of chucking it, but have no idea what to do. Suggestions anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The yeast most likely used up all the fermentables otherwise your bottles would be overcarbed by now. Percentage of unfermentable caramel may have been to high in the recipe. There is no way to eliminate the sweetness.

You could brew another beer that is on the dry side and blend the two in the glass.

It also could be that your yeast quit early. What did you use, and at what temps? I made a batch with kit yeast that finished at 1.022, and sweet (not as bad as you describe). I tried pitching a more aggressive yeast into part of it. It dropped lower. But Flars may be right. You might have caramelized your extract into unfermentables.

I used champagne yeast at 65 degrees F. A bit high but its what I had. I finished at 1.013 for a week. I was reminded that the caramel I used was sugar free, meaning a different sweetener, so I most likely used the wrong sugar for the yeast. I should go back and use real caramel, I'm also thinking honey.

Mix it with lemonade a mug to make a shandy, if the lemonade is not too sweet.

Thanks all, good suggestions. I might make bread with it.

Ohh, you used actual caramel, not a caramel malt? Yeah, yeast will not break down artificial sweeteners. I'm not sure what you can do at this point -- maybe try making beer cocktails (no, seriously). How about equal parts beer and seltzer, some lemon juice, and an oz of brandy in a tall glass?

Beer cocktails sound interesting, I will have to try that.

Latest posts

Back