Watery wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wranglerx16

Reaction score
Hi.
I made a concord welchs 1 gal recipe. I made about 1.25 gal w 3 cans and I got my directions wrong and only added about 1.5 cups of sugar, I've already stabilized it and everything it is pretty watery tasting, any way to fix this or just cut my losses?
Thanks

Hey Wrangler,
How long since you started it? Fruit flavors should come back with aging. You've got a few immediate options though. If you've stabilized it, you could backsweeten with some grape juice or concentrate, or adding some tannins will add some body too- my preferred method is strong black tea. Your third option is adding some acidity (though you'll want to go easy if your wine is super dry). You can get acid blend from your lhbs, or you could try adding a small amount of something like lemon juice.

Keep in mind that with any of these methods, a little goes a long way. Definitely taste your wine as you're adding any of these.

Good luck!

Thanks, it hasn't been to long I started on 10/8, I transferred degassed and stabilized on 10/25, I can let it sit in the carboy longer I just wasnt sure if I'd be wasting time and it wouldn't get any more flavor

I had a similar problem, like others have said, adding acid, and tannin will help a bit. I've also added liquid oak and a couple of bottles of the heaviest similar wine I could find, not great but passable. Good luck.

Back