Watery beers? How to have them seem a bit thicker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LloydRenee

Reaction score
My last few batches of beer have been A European Black Lager and a Scottish Ale. While I know the Ale is not supposed to be thick I still think it could have some more mouthfeel to it. How do I thicken my beer a bit? The flavors are decent to wonderful on the front end of a sip. The problem is the back end. They have all seemed just to thin or watery. I know my FGs and OGs are right but it still seems to be even watery for all the styles of beer I have brewed. How do I thicken it up? Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Is it as simple as increasing the LME or DME? I didnt hink so but want to double check.

Shoudl I steep my grains for longer than directed? Typically I have been brewing with the Brewers Best Kits but since this consistant dissapointment I am considering just going to Recipes and making my own kits. OK enough rambling plase share your wisdom with me.

I've noticed on the cooper's forums that some will just use a couple liters less water. Or you could add some maltodextrine. More DME/LME can help,but they also add more fermentables.

How's the carbonation? I had an overly carb'd brew that seemed thin and watery.

You could also try malto dextrin. About a half pound or so in a 5 gal batch should increase the mouthfeel for ya.

Flaked wheat or flaked barley has worked for me, crystal malts, higher mash, higer gravity.Less attenuating yeast giving a higher finished gravity. Depends also how soon you are critiquing them assuming this is what you get, i wouldnt be quick to judge them under a month or two,completly.
Another thing which is debatable is try using dme instead of corn sugar to prime , i seem to get a bit of creamier finish.

Idk... .5lb of maltodextrin sounds like quite a bit. They usually use no more than 250-300g. Have you actually used that much? how much difference would you say?

oops,I new I should've used my conversion formulas. That's what I get for winging it. Oh well,busy brew day today. Maybe a contributing factor.;)

I'd stay away from malto-dextrine or other adjunct body enhancers for now. Can you post your specific recipes? It's hard to guess your problem without them.

Carapils is a good suggestion unless you are already using it.

unionrdr said:
oops,I new I should've used my conversion formulas. That's what I get for winging it. Oh well,busy brew day today. Maybe a contributing factor.;)

Brew day = Drinking brew :mug:

I always remember a pound is 454 grams its easy to remember because it a popular gas guzzler motor size

What are you OG/FGs for the beers in question?

You can either increase the FG by adding more crystal or using a less attenuative yeast, like mentioned above, or increase the body by adding carpils, mashing higher, or using flaked grains (eg. flaked barely, flaked wheat, etc).

Back