Watery beers? How to have them seem a bit thicker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

LloydRenee

Reaction score
My last few batches of beer have been A European Black Lager and a Scottish Ale. While I know the Ale is not supposed to be thick I still think it could have some more mouthfeel to it. How do I thicken my beer a bit? The flavors are decent to wonderful on the front end of a sip. The problem is the back end. They have all seemed just to thin or watery. I know my FGs and OGs are right but it still seems to be even watery for all the styles of beer I have brewed. How do I thicken it up? Any ideas or help would be welcome.

Is it as simple as increasing the LME or DME? I didnt hink so but want to double check.

Shoudl I steep my grains for longer than directed? Typically I have been brewing with the Brewers Best Kits but since this consistant dissapointment I am considering just going to Recipes and making my own kits. OK enough rambling plase share your wisdom with me.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed on the cooper's forums that some will just use a couple liters less water. Or you could add some maltodextrine. More DME/LME can help,but they also add more fermentables.

Reaction score
How's the carbonation? I had an overly carb'd brew that seemed thin and watery.

You could also try malto dextrin. About a half pound or so in a 5 gal batch should increase the mouthfeel for ya.

jonmohno

Banned
Reaction score
Flaked wheat or flaked barley has worked for me, crystal malts, higher mash, higer gravity.Less attenuating yeast giving a higher finished gravity. Depends also how soon you are critiquing them assuming this is what you get, i wouldnt be quick to judge them under a month or two,completly.
Another thing which is debatable is try using dme instead of corn sugar to prime , i seem to get a bit of creamier finish.

unionrdr

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Idk... .5lb of maltodextrin sounds like quite a bit. They usually use no more than 250-300g. Have you actually used that much? how much difference would you say?

unionrdr

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
oops,I new I should've used my conversion formulas. That's what I get for winging it. Oh well,busy brew day today. Maybe a contributing factor.;)

Ravenshead

Reaction score
I'd stay away from malto-dextrine or other adjunct body enhancers for now. Can you post your specific recipes? It's hard to guess your problem without them.

Carapils is a good suggestion unless you are already using it.

bottlebomber

Reaction score
unionrdr said:
oops,I new I should've used my conversion formulas. That's what I get for winging it. Oh well,busy brew day today. Maybe a contributing factor.;)
Brew day = Drinking brew :mug:

I always remember a pound is 454 grams its easy to remember because it a popular gas guzzler motor size

coypoo

Reaction score
What are you OG/FGs for the beers in question?

You can either increase the FG by adding more crystal or using a less attenuative yeast, like mentioned above, or increase the body by adding carpils, mashing higher, or using flaked grains (eg. flaked barely, flaked wheat, etc).

Dondlelinger

Reaction score
use up to 400g maltodextrin avoid dme in light or lauger beers, as all you will taste is the malt.