Water Tool in BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I only recently began using the water tool in BeerSmith as Bru'n Water had been my go-to chemistry management program which I still use every brew.

With BeerSmith, I have been able to manage my chemistry and print out the water additions on a separate sheet to use on brew day. Is there a way to merge those salts and acid additions into my recipe and have it print out right along with grains, yeast and hops so its easy to read out as an ingredient for a recipe?

I take the salt additions and add them directly into the recipe (they are listed in 'misc' items). They then appear on the top of the brew sheet when I print it out.

I can surely do that. As far as you know, there is no "merge" feature that will flow the salts automatically into the recipe w/o doing it this manual way?

When you are done building your water profile in the water tool you can click a button to save those salt additions to that water profile. Then back in the recipe design tab if you add water and choose that profile BeerSmith will ask if you would like to add the salt additions as well. If you click yes than it will add the salt additions required for however many litres of water you've added.

When you are done building your water profile in the water tool you can click a button to save those salt additions to that water profile. Then back in the recipe design tab if you add water and choose that profile BeerSmith will ask if you would like to add the salt additions as well. If you click yes than it will add the salt additions required for however many litres of water you've added.

BINGO!! Just did it...worked seamlessly. Thanks!!

Your welcome, I learned that little trick from a video I probably found here on HBT. I'd post a link but I can't remember where it was; I certainly did not figure that out on my own.

Have you been using the water tool for pH adjustment? I bounce between Beersmith and Brun'water for pH and it would be easier to get it all done in one place.

I too, have bounced back and forth between beersmith and bruinwater. They never seem to agree fully on the amount of acid needed so I tend to error towards whichever calls for less. I dunno, I don't have a ph meter but I've been happy with the results.

Have you been using the water tool for pH adjustment? I bounce between Beersmith and Brun'water for pH and it would be easier to get it all done in one place.

I just started using the BS water tool, and now that I've been shown how to flow my adjustments directly into my recipe list, this makes me more interested in the "all in one place" mentality.

I too, have bounced back and forth between beersmith and bruinwater. They never seem to agree fully on the amount of acid needed so I tend to error towards whichever calls for less. I dunno, I don't have a ph meter but I've been happy with the results.

I have used Bru'n Water for a couple of years so I'd check my mash ph with a Hach Pocket Pro plus to double check behind Bru'n Water. It was always real close or spot on, so I developed confidence with that program.

I will certainly do this double check with BS for validity. My first checks have been to run the same ph and salts target goals with both programs. It seems the adjustments are somewhat close, but this is on paper only. The proof I will feel confident with is the actual brew testing.

Once I do some testing (since I have a ph meter), I'll post you back. I plan a brew tomorrow so I'll do my initial test tomorrow and post my results. If the ph goal is typically between 5.2 and 5.45, it shouldn't be hard for either program to get in that range.

Your welcome, I learned that little trick from a video I probably found here on HBT. I'd post a link but I can't remember where it was; I certainly did not figure that out on my own.

Thank you for taking the time to share your discovery. I basically taught myself to use Bru'n Water by watching YouTube videos similar to your methods. It seemed somewhat daunting to learn the chemistry behind water management, but the time a brewer spends to learn this will serve them well with premium beers.

Morrey, I look forward to hearing your results! I've seen several threads comparing bs to bruinwater ph estimates on paper but I don't think I've seen anyone post their actual findings after using beersmith to calculate acid addition.

Below is a post to the BeerSmith forum a couple of years ago when I was first trying out the new water tool and comparing the results with two other water-addition spreadsheets:

I took some recipes from last spring and entered them into the water adjustment spreadsheets most people use regularly. I had been using BrunWater to predict pH and have been doing a minimal of water adjustment using salts. My water is pretty bland, very similar to spring water. Only one of the recipes below contained any salt additions (the ESB with 1 gram of Gypsum for 15 liters of water). Grain bills were entered in each spreadsheet as well as each spreadsheet allows. Below are the results.

BeerSmith BrunWater EZ-Water Actual
Style Predicted Delta Predicted Delta Predicted Delta Msmt
Brown 5.45 0.08 5.67 0.3 5.46 0.09 5.37
Pale Ale 5.63 0.22 5.69 0.28 5.61 0.2 5.41
Porter 5.57 -0.02 5.69 0.1 5.57 -0.02 5.59
ESB 5.6 0.3 5.59 0.29 5.48 0.18 5.3

Average error 0.15 0.24 0.11

I don't claim any of the spreadsheets are superior or better to use. These results are based upon my well water and may not reflect what you may obtain with your process and water.

pH readings are obtained by sampling 25 cc of wort after 10 minutes of thorough stirring. Process is full volume BIAB. All batches are designed to produce 11 liters of wort at the end of the boil, approximately 14.1 liters pre-boil volume. There were no additions between mash collection and start of boil volume.

My advice: Pick one spreadsheet and use it. Measure your pH as Brad has recommended. Learn the way your water source behaves with that spreadsheet and take that into account when making future water adjustments. Remember that the spreadsheets are just estimates, relax about their exact readings versus yours, and brew on!

Note: sorry about the table, but I just cannot seem to get things to space out and line up well...

Back