Water Report help needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMtnBrewer

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I finally had my water (town) tested via the Ward Labs Home brewer test. Now that I have this information I need to know what it all "means" for my brew day.

I am an all grain brewer, keggle batches. I would like any help in reading the numbers and if there is anything that is needed for water chemistry additions for my brew water.

I have attached an image from my report. Thanks much in advance for any information or advice you can give me.

Cheers:tank:

Water Test Results.png

Great water source. You still have to acidify your water for most brewing to neutralize alkalinity.

Hi Martin,

Would be interested in your thoughts on the report I just got as well. Seems like it is fine for brewing and will need the typical adjustments and acid. I'm just starting to look at the water. At this point have only been using Campden to remove the Chlorine / Chloramine.

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 137
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.23
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.1 / 2.0
ppm
Sodium, Na 23
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 14
Magnesium, Mg 4
Total Hardness, CaCO3 52
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 9
Chloride, Cl 25
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 39
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 32
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

You're in the same boat. Great water to work with. You'll also need to neutralize the alkalinity with acid, but that should be easy and minimal with your water.

Oh, wow, I have water envy.

That's great water. If you have chlorine/chloramines in your water (likely do), doing something about that is about all you need to do to the water.

You will have to use some acid in the sparge water (but not much), and most often use some acid in the mash for lighter colored beers, but it's a great water profile to start with!

Thank you for replying to my original question. Is there something I can read about how to adjust the acidity? I have never never played around with my water?

Why sure! You should visit the Bru'n Water site and read the Water Knowledge page to understand the Why's of brewing water treatment. Downloading and using the Bru'n Water tool will help you with the How's of treatment.

Was this a setup???

Not sure what you mean by setup? I'm just a home brewed that wanted to take another step in producing a finer product. Working with my water seemed to be the next logical step?

Not sure what you mean by setup? I'm just a home brewed that wanted to take another step in producing a finer product. Working with my water seemed to be the next logical step?

I think Martin was referring to the fact that you asked where you might read more about these things and he was able to plug his website, spreadsheet, and information :D. BTW, his website (linked in his signature) is an excellent place to being your research into brewing water - you may not even desire (or need) to know more beyond what he explains on his site for most purposes.

Back