Water Forgotten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBeer

Reaction score
So I just noticed there is a gallon of water in my fridge, thus I forgot to add it to my 5 gallon batch late last night. Its been about 12 hours and fermentation looks like it has really taken off already. It was an extract batch, I boiled 2.5 gallons and apparently only added 2 more gallons before pitching the yeast. What do I do? Thanks.

So I just noticed there is a gallon of water in my fridge, thus I forgot to add it to my 5 gallon batch late last night. Its been about 12 hours and fermentation looks like it has really taken off already. It was an extract batch, I boiled 2.5 gallons and apparently only added 2 more gallons before pitching the yeast. What do I do? Thanks.

Did you check your OG? If you did and you happen to be close to what it should be, I'd leave it as is. If it's way high then maybe add the extra water. I've never added water that late so I wont tell you how to go about doing that.

Any way to interpret my 1.068 OG reading with one gallon of water missing? Any way to adjust it to get an idea of where I started?

Either way, it's been added. I siphoned it in without disturbing too much. Live and learn.

Sorry, just a little confused. Was 1.068 your reading before or after you added the extra gallon?

Any way to interpret my 1.068 OG reading with one gallon of water missing? Any way to adjust it to get an idea of where I started?

first the math then what I'd do.

If your OG was 1.068 and it is 4 gallons of wort, that means you have 68*4 or 272 points of sugar. So in 5 gallons it would have been 272/5 =54.4 about 1.054 to 1.055.

what I would do is when I go to bottle I'd either be faced with a 4 gallon strong, or more likely I'd want my other 10 12oz bottles - and I'd boil 1 gallon of water with my sugar instead of 2 cups and mix that in for my bottling sugar. But that is just me.

first the math then what I'd do.

If your OG was 1.068 and it is 4 gallons of wort, that means you have 68*4 or 272 points of sugar. So in 5 gallons it would have been 272/5 =54.4 about 1.054 to 1.055.

what I would do is when I go to bottle I'd either be faced with a 4 gallon strong, or more likely I'd want my other 10 12oz bottles - and I'd boil 1 gallon of water with my sugar instead of 2 cups and mix that in for my bottling sugar. But that is just me.

Thanks. Expanding on that a little...I started with 2.5 gallons in the boil, then added two more while cooling. That gives me 4.5 minus whatever was boiled/soaked up. This was my LHBS' take on DFH 60 minute IPA so plenty of hops and boil evap to take maybe .25 gallons out? I'm not sure how good that assumption is but lets go with it, I'm new to all this so let me see if I understand the logic. That gives me 4.25*68=289. I only added about 3/4 gallon today, which I thought would get me up to ~5 and giving me 289/5=57.8 or 1.0578. The store doesnt give target OG for their kits for some reason so I'm not sure how close I made it to recommended but I think I'll use 1.0578 as my OG and assume its perfect. Does that logic hold up?

Back