Water additions for a pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. Doing a pale ale this weekend, all grain. I'm using 100% distilled water and I am just now toying with water additions. Right now, the only water additions I'm doing are the gypsum and the calcium chloride. I'm trying to use the basic calculator on BrewersFriend to figure out how much of each to add. Could you take a look at the screen shots below and let me know if I'm understanding this correctly?

My interpretation of this is that if I add 3g of the Gypsum and 1g of the Calcium Chloride, that my water will be acceptable for a pale ale. Am I correct or am I screwing this up?

Thanks.

Water Chem 1.JPG

Water Chem 2.JPG

Looks good to me. Double check your mash pH is good and you will be fine.

Looks fine to me. A general rule of thumb that I was taught when I first started water additions was 1g gypsum/1gallon of water with distilled. Its a good jumping off point. From there you can learn what the minerals do to the water and adjust accodingly

Latest posts

Back