Washing and Repitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am about 18 pages into the yeast washing sticky and have not found my question answered. I will keep reading but thought maybe someone could give me a quick answer.

I have no interest in making one batch of yeast last me for 50 bathes plus. I would just like to reuse my yeast without having to pitch onto the cake the same day. Getting five batches from one yeast purchase is plenty good with me (and would pretty much mean I would only need to buy yeast a couple of times per year).

Can I wash my yeast, decant it into a single large container (after multiple transfers to separate the trub), store it in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks, and then pitch it directly into my next batch without making a starter?

So I am about 18 pages into the yeast washing sticky and have not found my question answered. I will keep reading but thought maybe someone could give me a quick answer.

I have no interest in making one batch of yeast last me for 50 bathes plus. I would just like to reuse my yeast without having to pitch onto the cake the same day. Getting five batches from one yeast purchase is plenty good with me (and would pretty much mean I would only need to buy yeast a couple of times per year).

Can I wash my yeast, decant it into a single large container (after multiple transfers to separate the trub), store it in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks, and then pitch it directly into my next batch without making a starter?

You don't need a "large container". You can just take the trub, and pour it into 4 sanitized/sterilized pint mason jars and use it like that. I don't rinse the rinse as much as I used to, and just save the trub. You only need about 1/2 pint jar for most average sized beers, so you could at least get 5 out of one vial/smackpack just that way.

You don't need a "large container". You can just take the trub, and pour it into 4 sanitized/sterilized pint mason jars and use it like that. I don't rinse the rinse as much as I used to, and just save the trub. You only need about 1/2 pint jar for most average sized beers, so you could at least get 5 out of one vial/smackpack just that way.

Thanks. As always, I am so grateful for folks like Yooper who provide good advice quickly.

Back