washed yeast, how much to use..,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
during bottling the other day, I failed to plan things well. I was going to keep some of the Chico yeast I had in the carboy for a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone I plan to brew this weekend. being tired & inpatient, I dumped all the trub & yeast into a half gallon glass bottle.
I put this in the fridge & now have almost a quart if trub/yeast. how much should I use for my 5 gallon batch? should I remove some out of the middle with a turkey baster? if so, should I make starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Very roughly speaking, there are at least 1 billion yeast cells in every ml of the slurry which has 50% solid material.So for a typical 5gl ale You'll need about 200 ml yeast slurry if You're going to pitch directly. IMO, making a starter is almost always a good idea not only for having the healthy active cells but also to ensure they are not contaminated.I would shake and mix the slurry well and put It in the fridge until an hour or so later when I would pick up about 50 ml from It's middle layer and pitch that into the 2 lit starter.If the starter works as usual without strange/bad smells I would use It in the main batch otherwise I would discard It.

I'd like to know this too. I saved a whole yeast cake of Duvel yeast but it filled the jar almost completely with little room to wash it very well so it didn't separate like in the guide. The whole yeast cake just sat at the bottom of the jar.

Should I just get some more jars and split it so I can wash it properly?

during bottling the other day, I failed to plan things well. I was going to keep some of the Chico yeast I had in the carboy for a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone I plan to brew this weekend. being tired & inpatient, I dumped all the trub & yeast into a half gallon glass bottle.
I put this in the fridge & now have almost a quart if trub/yeast. how much should I use for my 5 gallon batch? should I remove some out of the middle with a turkey baster? if so, should I make starter?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Use mr malty calculator to estimate the amount of "slurry" you need to re pitch based on your gravity/style of beer.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Click on the "re pitching from slurry" tab

Back