Washed Kolsch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
I washed this yeast back in October 2011 and was planning on using it for a brew this weekend. I'm unsure of how big of a starter I will need as I'm not too sure how much yeast I actually have. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Here is a pic! I should also say est original gravity is going to be 1.048.

IMG_8496.jpg

I would toss them both in 1/2 quart of 1.035 OG starter material and put it on the stir plate to wake them up. Then step up from there.

I recently made 2 Kolsch style ale`s with washed wyeast 2565,I had 2 jars.I used
1 cup Light DME with 2 liters water for each batch.Ferment took off in about 5 hours
with both batches.Both beers finished within 10 days at predicted gravity.
I hope this helps out.

cheers

I recently used 2565 of about the same age. 4L starter, decanted, into a 11g batch of wheat beer. Next AM it was threatening the bung. Love that yeast.

(BTW, I tossed some cascades in for dryhopping after fermentation was finished and the yeast went nuts again, and the krausen climbed back up to the bung).

...He said bung...

I usually make 3 liter starters for my Kolsch batches. I start out with similar amounts of washed yeast. In fact I just ran out, so I need to get another Kolsch on deck. People just love it, it's simple and yet a little different.

Yah I really like this yeast. I'm actually going to make a pale ale/red ale to use up some zues/amarillo/simcoe hops that I have. I'm getting excited!! Since the yeast is getting a bit old I think I'll just make up a liter starter get thing going and probably pitch the whole thing since I don't think I'll have time to chill and decant before I need to pitch. I'm using WLP029.

I'm pitching from a kolsch cake today, and did make a small starter for it a couple weeks ago. That starter took off. I have used the yeast, while ill-advised, from my harvested jar, direct pitch, no starter. Same vigorous fermentation, just a slower start. That yeast is just an animal. I will say the started yeast did go slightly better and faster. But if you get in a situation where you need a yeast and don't have time for the starter....

Another yeast thread from the dead.....

I am about to pitch down the sink some old jars of Kolsch yeast I washed. I brewed one batch and didn't like it, thought it was off. Here's a picture of it. I don't like the brown cloudy stuff on top of the white layer, and haven't seen any pics like this on the interwebs. Some kind of infection?
kolsch%20yeast.jpg

Another yeast thread from the dead.....

I am about to pitch down the sink some old jars of Kolsch yeast I washed. I brewed one batch and didn't like it, thought it was off. Here's a picture of it. I don't like the brown cloudy stuff on top of the white layer, and haven't seen any pics like this on the interwebs. Some kind of infection?
kolsch%20yeast.jpg
Could be just a layer of slow dropping particulates that are prominent because the jars have been sitting awhile. I love this strain and use it for all kinds of recipes, its one of my house strains because it can ferment pretty low to produce lager-like ales, I like it at 52 for 5-6 weeks. Ferments out as clean as a lager yeast but without sulfur, and it hasn't stalled out on me yet. Even if you don't like the kolsch style, try it in other beers.

Also, I don't wash yeast, instead I pour off the slurry into 4oz jars that I later use to make a starter. IMHO, washing is unnecessary if saving in smaller volumes, the residual beer that floats on top with its alcohol and hops protect the yeast from infection while the small amount of trub is harmless. My Kolsch yeast is probably in its 7th or 8th generation and has adapted itself to my preferred fermentation temps, I would never be without this strain.

Instead of dumping those, why not use them to grow a new, lightly hopped 2L starter, decant off the spent wort and save the slurry in smaller jars. Then use this strain to brew a malty festbier; the harvest season is fast approaching and you can be ready in time if you skip the long lagering period by cold fermenting with this outstanding ale strain.

Thanks. I really like this yeast that why I collected it. Kudos on propagating that many generations. I just collect what I like and use it. Hadn't thought about it adjusting to fermentations.

I really like the idea of 'lagering' this at 52F. I have some Vienna malt that would be perfect for that. I'm going to start a new batch doing that.

Back