Wash/Repitch IPA yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
I have an IPA happily bubbling away in primary now. I recently started washing my yeast. I've read a lot of people saying not to pitch onto really hoppy yeast cakes because the AA coat the yeast cells and the trub can affect the beer taste. Does this apply to washing as well? I understand the viability of the yeast won't be as good as it could be, but I assume it's still usable.

Also, how hoppy is too hoppy to repitch? My recipe has 4oz of hops for a 6gallon batch, most of which were left in the kettle. Its OG was 1.065 and I did a .5L starter. If I reuse the yeast it will most likely be for an american amber or a stout.

This is just my process, not saying anyone else should follow it.
I only wash and reuse yeast from beers under 1.050 with less than 2 oz hops per 5.5 gallon batch. I am less concerned with flavors from the previous batch than I am the yeast health. I don't want to save and reuse yeast that was stressed, either from higher gravity or having been coated by the isomerized acids from the hops.

For these reasons I usually plan my batches 2 at a time, one lighter less hoppy session beer followed by an IPA or bock or heavy stout.
Just my 2 cents

When I make an IPA, it usually has an OG of about 1.075, and more IBU's is capable og guesstimating accurately. In spite of that, I still wash the yeast, and use the washed yeast for another 3 or 4 similar brews. It's always worked well for me, and I've never had any problems with the second generation yeasts, but I've never taken it further than 2 generations.

-a.

Back