WARNING to newbie homebrewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't expecting such a huge response to this. I'll add another detail to the story.

I was 29, and HUGELY afraid of turning 30 when this all started. I lived in an office, and my plant had a name (Charlene the ficus is still doing well, I hear). The company I helped take public started going in a management direction I didn't agree with (ruthless, and not the tasty Rye beer from Sierra). I took my stock options, took out MASSIVE loans, and opened the pub. We don't own property, but we'd have mortgaged it if we did. It is VERY scary to put everything on the line (this is 2008, during the worst part of the down economy, in the restaurant business which has a 90% failure rate).

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate that this wasn't an easy process; anyone with big dreams can absolutely succeed, but the risk and cost can be very, very high, and that's important to keep in mind. A solid plan, a serviceable niche, a great location, and a dedicated customer base are all required. So many restaurants fail because home cooks think they are chefs (they're not), or chefs think they can handle the business side without help (possible, but usually disastrous). Having your metaphorical ducks in a row is essential. Don't wing it. Be ready. Have a solid team in place. Once you're positive that you are ready, go ALL IN - whether you're going bigtime brewer, or opening a pub.

You are pretty much doing exactly what I want to do. I'm 29 right now, turning 30 in a little less than 6 months. I make decent money as a tax accountant but I don't really like it. I do have a mortgage on a house. The past 4 or 5 years I have been looking into opening a business and never have grown the balls to do it. I have been wanting to open a really good pizza pub (there are hardly any around and the few that are aren't all that good). The one thing stopping me (well besides raising the capital) is putting everything on the line. I will do it though. Stories like yours give me that push I need.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

All I have to say is "WHAT A GREAT F*IN COUNTRY WE LIVE IN" Theres no other place on earth where dreams this big can be a reality for so many.

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!

akervin said:
All I have to say is "WHAT A GREAT F*IN COUNTRY WE LIVE IN" Theres no other place on earth where dreams this big can be a reality for so many.

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!

Damn right! And whats more American than a burger and a good pint! We can thank those before us for their sacrifices to maintain our freedoms.

Congrats, its so great to hear success stories in such a turmultuous age.

You are pretty much doing exactly what I want to do. I'm 29 right now, turning 30 in a little less than 6 months. I make decent money as a tax accountant but I don't really like it. I do have a mortgage on a house. The past 4 or 5 years I have been looking into opening a business and never have grown the balls to do it. I have been wanting to open a really good pizza pub (there are hardly any around and the few that are aren't all that good). The one thing stopping me (well besides raising the capital) is putting everything on the line. I will do it though. Stories like yours give me that push I need.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated.

Coming from California, to me a pizza has local, fresh produce (just like in Italy), never too many ingredients, thin, hand made crust, and always wood fired. 99% of pizza joints out east use the same canned olives, Hormel meats, and bagged pre-shredded low quality cheese. You'll kill it with real produce and local meat, and of course, brilliant beer. Hire someone with a lot of experience in the industry or go down in flames. There is no substitute for experience in this industry.

A pizza pub with hand-made pie, and fresh toppings, and killer local craft brew would absolutely crush it in your neck of the woods. Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing, Noah! Talk about an inspirational story! I wish you the best of luck with your new brewing facility. (Actually, doesn't sound like you NEED luck! You've really planned this out well.) I have little doubt you'll do extremely well with it. Since you already have people coming in for the food, you have clients for the beer. Instead of serving BMC to everyone, or even craft brews, you'll have something even more fresh and tasty for them. It's perfect! :mug:

Coming from California, to me a pizza has local, fresh produce (just like in Italy), never too many ingredients, thin, hand made crust, and always wood fired. 99% of pizza joints out east use the same canned olives, Hormel meats, and bagged pre-shredded low quality cheese. You'll kill it with real produce and local meat, and of course, brilliant beer. Hire someone with a lot of experience in the industry or go down in flames. There is no substitute for experience in this industry.

A pizza pub with hand-made pie, and fresh toppings, and killer local craft brew would absolutely crush it in your neck of the woods. Best of luck.

Exactly what I am thinking. No good pizza joints and not many craft beer options around so the combination (at least on paper) is killer.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as many of you. I'm 32, I retire from the Military in 6 years, and I know what I want to be when I grow up. The military paid for my Masters in psyche which was for my job, but I think after 20 years I'm done with that. My plan is to finish an MBA I've started, knock out as many courses as I can in brewing (inbetween deployments) and pay off my house before I retire. I have made friends with quite a few brewers who will let me haul grain sacks for them so I can gain some good experience before I dive head-first into this. I hear the VA has some good programs available for veterans. I need to do my homework obviously. I agree, having a good team in place is essential to any successful operation. Great read. Good luck!

Subscribed. Going down this path in afew years, any chance to see your biz plan? I'm in WI so no competition .:p

I'm pretty much in the same boat as many of you. I'm 32, I retire from the Military in 6 years, and I know what I want to be when I grow up. The military paid for my Masters in psyche which was for my job, but I think after 20 years I'm done with that. My plan is to finish an MBA I've started, knock out as many courses as I can in brewing (inbetween deployments) and pay off my house before I retire. I have made friends with quite a few brewers who will let me haul grain sacks for them so I can gain some good experience before I dive head-first into this. I hear the VA has some good programs available for veterans. I need to do my homework obviously. I agree, having a good team in place is essential to any successful operation. Great read. Good luck!

Checkout UC Davis' Intensive Program...short and well respected.

Thanks for the response I have a current pipe dream for the same kind of organization. One would fit in perfect with my current downtown, no major market business allowed, all local eateries and a small brewpub/brewery on the corner would fit in perfectly. It's literally the sterotypical people walking around and biking all hours of the day, lots of local events, and I have no doubt this would be a hit without worrying about business or even worse maybe growing too fast. I find these business thread with real experience interesting.

Subscribed. Going down this path in afew years, any chance to see your biz plan? I'm in WI so no competition .:p

Sorry, no, lots of confidential information, and I'm not about to redact a 50 page document like the CIA :)

Edit: But happy to answer any specific questions you (or anyone) has.

very inspirational...i am 29 as well and work as a IT manager for a large insurance company. Make good money and i have tons of freedom working from home and have absolutely no right to complain but...i effing hate it. I have no passion for my job anymore and each day is more tedious than the last.

I would be willing to give up the money and the security to do something that i dream about at night and am excited to do when i wake up every morning.

Right now i am getting my home brew system up and running and building a bar for my apartment so i can try getting some good recipes up and have my friends come over for tastings and find out what people like and dont like.

I know a few bar owners who would be willing to put something on tap for me if it tastes good so i am thinking a micro or nano brewery is the way to go. Some place where i can sell by the growler and distribute kegs to local bars.

Heres hoping that i can make it happen like you are and escape the corporate drudgery. I am young, have no kids, no house and there is no reason i shouldnt do this...i can even keep my current job while i do it...

biggest problem i forsee is that i am not a very organized person or very business minded, the thought of writing a business plan is daunting as hell as are the licenses, inspections and other paperwork.

making the beer i fear will be the easiest part of the business.

Cheers to you for having the smarts and courage to go after your dream.

Thanks for the response I have a current pipe dream for the same kind of organization. One would fit in perfect with my current downtown, no major market business allowed, all local eateries and a small brewpub/brewery on the corner would fit in perfectly. It's literally the sterotypical people walking around and biking all hours of the day, lots of local events, and I have no doubt this would be a hit without worrying about business or even worse maybe growing too fast. I find these business thread with real experience interesting.

Not worrying about business is why 90% of restaurants fold in the first 3 years. I'm sure you were just being facetious, but I so often get quizzed by the "let's start a restaurant!" crowd. The best-run restaurant in the best location in the world... is STILL gruelingly difficult and extraordinarily stressful. There is no such thing as a restaurant that runs itself, and growing too fast is actually a bigger problem than you think. When I expanded hours, I didn't have enough shifts to hire more quality staff (part time line cooks tend to be... part time quality), so had to double shift some people... etc. NO restaurant is easy, unless you're a McDonalds franchisee.

Not trying to deflate you- the words "not worrying about business" is exactly the opposite of what it takes to succeed - it is life-changingly difficult, you pretty much abandon your friends and family for the first few years.

Back