Ward labs question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xQuestx

Reaction score
I ordered a water sample kit for brewing. If I'm going to use a water filter should I send the sample from the water filter or without the filter? thanks.

A true "filter" is only going to remove solids; it's not going to affect ionic content.
I don't think it actually matters either way wrt the analysis desired for brewing water quality...

Cheers!

When you get the results back be sure to multiply the Ward Labs reported 'SO4-S' value by 3 to convert it into 'SO4'.

Ward Labs primarily caters to farmers, and they only want to know how much sulfur is in their water. So Ward Labs only reports S (sulfur) as derived from SO4, and their shorthand for this is SO4-S. It just so happens that the molecular weight of sulfur is 32, and that of oxygen is 16, which since there are 4 of them 4 x 16 = 64. Thus the entire molecule has a molecular weight of 32 + 64 = 96. And 96/32 = 3 (which is where the 3X factor comes from)

Latest posts

Back