Ward Labs - Help with adjustments. Tyrone, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky5752

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost. My first attachment didn't work.

Hello all... I have attached the water report I received back from Ward for my hometown water from Tyrone, Pa. Could someone take a look at this for me and tell me what I could, or IF I should to anything to adjust the Sulfate to Chloride Ratio? It seems that the ppm for both are so low, but I can't tell if it is a good thing or a bad thing? Should the water have a certain ppm for both, being balanced, to produce the best taste? Or is it best to have as little as possible in both?

Also, I'm assuming from a 7.4 pH that I should be using 5.2 or Lactic acid to get it down around 5.0 - 5.2.

Is there anything else from this report that is major enough for me to be concerned about? Make adjustments for? Your input is very much appreciated!

Water1-copy.jpg

Well heck! You are blessed with near RO quality water. If you want to do things easy, follow the recommendations of the Water Primer in this forum. As you become more adept, you might venture into a program like Bru'n Water. One word of caution is that with the low alkalinity of that water, you will need more alkalinity to mash darker grists. That is where a program that includes the ability to calculate alkalinity additions can be helpful.

A couple of other comments. Please set aside your assumptions about chloride to sulfate ratios, the ratio is really of little importance. Rather the actual amounts of ions in concentration should be the focus.

You ask for optimal ion concentrations and the answer is that those levels will vary based on your goals with a particular beer. Take a look at the Water Chemistry Primer that is stickied in this forum for a starting point. If you want to go deeper - go read the Knowledge page at Martin's Bru'n Water site...

Please reconsider using the 5.2 pH product. It is largely a worthless product to a home brewer.

Sulfate to Chloride Ratio? It seems that the ppm for both are so low,... Or is it best to have as little as possible in both?

That very much depends on the beer. For Bohemian Pilsner yes, very low levels of both are traditional but you will probably find you like the beer better with a bit more chloride.

Also, I'm assuming from a 7.4 pH that I should be using 5.2 or Lactic acid to get it down around 5.0 - 5.2.
The pH of the water has little to do with things especially when the alkalinity is low as in your case. As you will see if you look at the Primer or one of the spreadsheets you will need some acid for pale beers and this is traditionally lactic in continental brewing and traditionally sulfuric or hydrochloric in the UK. In the US phosphoric seems to be favored as it is pretty flavorless. Note that this acid is used to set mash pH, not water pH and that the preferred range is probably 5.3 - 5.6. Also not that the 5.2 product does not work.

Is there anything else from this report that is major enough for me to be concerned about?
No. You are a lucky guy.

Water1-copy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

It is really funny that you say that about the water here where I live... Back in the 70's Miller Brewing Company was looking to build a brewery here because of the outstanding chemistry of the water.

There was and still is a Papermill that was owned by Westvaco at the time. The only reason that the brewery didn't move in is because Westvaco bought up all of the water rights around town and didn't want the contention with wages, so they essentially forced Miller from placing a major brewery right here in my town.

This is some pretty awesome news.

I may post back here when I get a better chance to read up on some stuff about the water, if you fellas don't mind answering my questions. Thanks!

Back