Ward Labs data request experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
For Ward Labs reports only, please report the result of the highlighted division.

Total Hardness, CaCO3 ÷ Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm =

Then also please report whether your Ward Labs report is for Tap or Well Water.

Note: Please do not participate in this experiment if your Ward Labs water report is for softened water, or RO water, or blended water, or "made-up" water, or anything other than straight Tap or Well water.

I'm conducting this brief period only data gathering exercise whereby to rather quickly determine if there is, or is not, any sort of meaningful correlation between TDS and Hardness for Ward Labs derived data.

The reason why I desire to restrict this to Ward Labs data only is because I can trust that it is not data that is averaged across either of seasonal variation or multiple blended sources, but rather is single sourced.

My well water:

Total hardness, CaCO3 = 644
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm = 712

644 / 712 = 0.904

Tap water:

Date: 05/2021
--------------------------------------------------
Total hardness, CaCO3 = 9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm = 825

9 / 825 = 0.0109

Date: 02/2018
Total hardness, CaCO3 = 126
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm = 335

126 / 335= 0.3761

Date: 04/2016
Total hardness, CaCO3 = 88
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm = 383

88/ 383 = 0.2297

Last edited:
OK, I'm definitely seeing a lot of rather random data scatter so far. After a few more I may call this as one over, a bit earlier than I had hoped. My thanks to all who have contributed so far! Likes to all.

OK, I'm definitely seeing a lot of rather random data scatter so far. After a few more I may call this as one over, a bit earlier than I had hoped. My thanks to all who have contributed so far! Likes to all.

I've got more if you think there's value. I've always used Ward Labs for my analysis.

FWIW, I have been in the habit of recording these over time. On brew day, I'd measure TDS and use that as my guide for the closest water profile match and adjust accordingly.

Even then, I'd still blend 40% Tap water to 60% DI and make my adjustments off of that. But now I've simply been using 100% DI and building off of that.

It would be awesome if my water didnt suck for brewing. But it does so I adjusted...

For Ward Labs reports only, please report the result of the highlighted division.

Total Hardness, CaCO3 ÷ Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm =

Then also please report whether your Ward Labs report is for Tap or Well Water.

Note: Please do not participate in this experiment if your Ward Labs water report is for softened water, or RO water, or blended water, or "made-up" water, or anything other than straight Tap or Well water.

I'm conducting this brief period only data gathering exercise whereby to rather quickly determine if there is, or is not, any sort of meaningful correlation between TDS and Hardness for Ward Labs derived data.

The reason why I desire to restrict this to Ward Labs data only is because I can trust that it is not data that is averaged across either of seasonal variation or multiple blended sources, but rather is single sourced.
Hardness (primarily dissolved calcium and magnesium) is a component of the Total Dissolved Solids... so yes, they are correlated. High hardness will cause a high TDS for example.

Hardness (primarily dissolved calcium and magnesium) is a component of the Total Dissolved Solids... so yes, they are correlated. High hardness will cause a high TDS for example.
This correlation is a given, but it is not the correlation I seek.

I haven't made any effort to analyze the hardness/TDS data yet, but as more values come in I'm beginning to suspect that they may eventually average to around 0.50, but with no meaningful correlation to be gleaned beyond averaging.

I was hoping that one might be able to derive an approximation of their waters total hardness if all they know is its TDS, but it is becoming quite evident that such is impossible.

The results span from nearly 0 to nearly 1, and as such appear to 'potentially' average to 0.5, so I'm calling this brief experiment over.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings, lol.

Davenport, IA tap water (sampled October 2021)

Total Hardness, CaCO3, ppm = 199
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm = 282

199/282 = 0.706

North Texas city tap water, from a local lake. Info provided by the City of Denton Municipal Laboratory. Not averaged data, but a single snapshot in time.

Ca = 38
Calcium Hardness = 92
Mg = 4
Magnesium Hardness = 14
Sodium = 19
Sulfate = 34
Total Hardness = 106
TDS = 95

Multiple award winning beers have been brewed with this water, untreated, except for carbon filtration. I guess our water is not so bad after all!

Back