Wanted: empty yeast vials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to store yeast. I pitch my starter but I hold a little back for the next time. I am looking for people who throw away their White Labs tubes or know a good source to get similar vials. Thanks for your help!

hahah I wonder if anyone has turned in the 5000???

Buy centrifuge tubes on ebay. You can usually get 100 for $10 or similar. That's what I do. I freeze yeast in 15ml tubes. About the size of your finger.

The caps on mine are a bit loose, so I put a piece of electrical tape around them before they hit the freezer. I really like the blood sample tubes that have rubber stoppers stuck into them, but I haven't tried to find those.
PA140006.JPG

We should all pull together and try to collect 5000 vials at someones place. Once 5000 vials are collected we could then hold a charity auction or possibly tasting competition so that whoever would want Chris White to brew with them the most could work for it. Then the vials are simply submitted under their name.

That gives me a thought. At my previous job, I used to make plastic bottles. In one of the processes, we would take a preform and reheat it to stretch it out to the shape of the desired bottle. These preforms looked like little plastic vials that had the threaded portion of the bottle already molded. I might have to talk to a buddy to see if I could get a bunch of the larger ones, then just find some old juice bottles and snag the caps off of them. We used to find random sizes of preforms that we couldn't use in our machines at the bottom of the bins they came in. This would be a perfect use for them.

Not the best picture but you can see what I'm talking about.

preform.jpg

Hi, I'm still looking for some empty vials, I'd be happy to pay the shipping if you don't mind tossing them in a box for me. Thanks!

Go to your local soda bottler, they'll probably sell you 100 of them for like $2, if not free. They're just soda bottles before they've been blow molded.

Only 1 fluid oz. That seems kind of small, but when I look at the White Labs vial, I suppose it seems about right. I got some preforms off of my buddy that I used to work with. These are 111 gram preforms used to make 96oz bottles.

PB200115.jpg

They look to be about 3 times larger than the WL vials. The WL will physically fit inside of the larger one. I don't have a cap for it, but anything off of a 64oz bottle should work.

My LHBS does a collection of white lab vials to reach the goal of 5,000 as well as a 1,000 goal mark. The 1,000 goal mark from what they told me, LHBS mind you, is that they will be able to offer a bigger variety of yeast. The 5,000 mark of course is to have Chris White to come to the LHBS and brew with the local brewers. Either way I haven't turned one vial in yet despite the SWMBO complaining about being a brewing pack rat.

But on topic... I believe in the small mason jar technique. It works for my goal and you can pick up a box of mason jars really cheap at the local wally world.

My LHBS does a collection of white lab vials to reach the goal of 5,000 as well as a 1,000 goal mark. The 1,000 goal mark from what they told me, LHBS mind you, is that they will be able to offer a bigger variety of yeast. The 5,000 mark of course is to have Chris White to come to the LHBS and brew with the local brewers. Either way I haven't turned one vial in yet despite the SWMBO complaining about being a brewing pack rat.

But on topic... I believe in the small mason jar technique. It works for my goal and you can pick up a box of mason jars really cheap at the local wally world.

FYI: You don't need to save the vials for the white labs customer club, just the labels. 5000 labels (or even 10) take up a whole lot less space than 5000 vials.

Seriously what would 5k vials cost to ship? That has to be 1-3 pallets worth. 5k labels would fit in a small box

Back