Want to make beer higher abv.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivHoppy

Reaction score
I brewed a double ipa last night and my initial gravity came out to be 1.06. According to the recipe it should be 1.082. I used all the same ingredients and followed the recipe exactly. This beer should come out to be 8.3% abv. Do you think it will still come out that strong with such a low initial gravity reading? And if not is there anything I can do now that it is in the primary fermenter?

If it was extract you might not have mixed well enough when you topped off your fermenter causing your OG reading to be lower than expected. Its very hard to miss your OG by 20 points of gravity when using extract.
-Jefe-

JefeTheVol said:
If it was extract you might not have mixed well enough when you topped off your fermenter causing your OG reading to be lower than expected. Its very hard to miss your OG by 20 points of gravity when using extract.
-Jefe-

I shook the carboy for five minutes. Do you think that is long enough?

yeah that's why I asked... It may not have been... It's difficult to completely mix the top off water and the boil to get your exact OG...also if the measured sample was warmer than 60 degrees you have to adjust the SG for that as well...

Given all of that... It's hard to not hit your kit's OG with extract...

So do you think I just had a misread on the gravity reading? Is there anything I can do now to raise the abv?

I'd leave it alone... The gravity that the instructions said were probably spot on and you're probably at it... However, in the future, if you want to raise the ABV you can add things like more DME/LME, honey, dextrose, maple syrup and really any fermentable sugar...

But personally, I'd leave it alone... I'm sure you're fine.

Leave it alone. The top off water is hard to mix in properly. Just go by what the recipe said it is.

acuenca said:
I'd leave it alone... The gravity that the instructions said were probably spot on and you're probably at it... However, in the future, if you want to raise the ABV you can add things like more DME/LME, honey, dextrose, maple syrup and really any fermentable sugar...

But personally, I'd leave it alone... I'm sure you're fine.

Sweet!! Thanks for the advice!!

Latest posts

Back