Want to get into starters and saving my own yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bixter1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There is so much info. I watched on how to save yeast and make a started. Is it that easy? Stirplates or any other odd equipment I might need. If I could save on yeast everytime ($$) i would be happy.

Yes it is that simple. Make starters and save your yeast.

You don't need a stirplate or any fancy equipment. I make my starters in 750ml or 1.5 L wine bottles, with a rubber stopper and airlock. I aerate them by shaking them up first and leave them on the counter swirl them around every once in awhile.

Read the yeast washing illustrated sticky, as far as saving your yeast.

I love to culture a yeast from the bottom of a bottle conditioned beer, and then save it for future generations.

Yes it is that simple. Make starters and save your yeast.

You don't need a stirplate or any fancy equipment. I make my starters in 750ml or 1.5 L wine bottles, with a rubber stopper and airlock. I aerate them by shaking them up first and leave them on the counter swirl them around every once in awhile.

ive done one starter as stated above, no stir plate.. just swished it every time I walked by. I didnt use an airlock, just loose sterilized foil covering the opening of the jug (since the airlock can pop off). search starters, and check out deathbrewer's howto.

I had airlock activity started in 3 hrs.. beer attenuated from 1069 to 1013.... right where the yeast was supposed to be.

I might build a stir plate for fun, but it doesnt seem like you really need one... I certainly wouldnt buy one.

also agree witht marcy... washed my yeast from the batch via the yeastwashing illustrated how to... now I have 6 yeast jars in my fridge. (should mention that I havent used them yet, but so many people have done the yeast washing with good results).

so much awesome info on this forum, thanks everyone.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/492

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/543

These are two worthwhile podcasts on the Brewing Network. One is on Yeast Repitching and the other is Yeast Washing.

And if you're going to buy a stir plate, buy it from Brewer's Hardware. I got mine for around $50 including the stir bar. A lot of people here complain about their stir plate being loud, but a mouse fart is louder than my stir plate.

Back