Want to Get Into Kegging - Need Feedback on Potential System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1983

Reaction score
I want to start kegging my homebrew. I've got my system dialed in and am regularly whipping up some delicious homebrew. I want to step my game up a bit and am looking at getting into kegging to free up some storage space.

I have been doing some shopping around, and I stumbled across a kegging system for what appears to be a really good price. So, rather than jump the gun and drop some cash on it, I wanted to get some feedback from my fellow home brewers. Is this thing legit?

http://www.kegoutlet.com/basicpin20ozkit-basic-homebrew-keg-kit-used-pin-lock-keg-20oz-co2.html

Seems like a really good price for what it offers, I'm worried about buying junk.

Edit:
They also have the same system sans keg here: http://www.kegoutlet.com/hk7110-basic-homebrew-keg-kit-20oz-co2-ball-lock.html

I'm sure I can pick up a different keg on craigslist if needed.

Are you planning to do a kegerator setup from the get go? Or just use a picnic tapper at first?

How many kegs do you plan to have on tap at once?

One of those is pin lock, the other is ball lock. You should look into the differences so you don't end up purchasing incompatible items. Pin locks are a little bit shorter and a little wider, and do not typically have built-in relief valves. Ball locks (a little taller, a little skinnier) are harder to find used, and as such are a little more expensive. I suggest going one way or the other and not mixing them. I have all ball lock kegs. The freezers I have fit 4 ball locks very snug, and I would not be able to fit more than 3 pin locks in the same space. Just some things to think about.

the 5 foot serving line probably won't cut it, I also didnt see mention to what ID diameter tubing it was. You'll need it to be 3/16" and will probably need 10 feet of it (~1psi drop per foot, should be just fine with 10-12psi serve/carb pressure).
I get mine at HD in 20' rolls (Watt Brand).

Also check where you will get your CO2 filled. Some places will only do swaps (like a propane tank), in which case you'd be handing over your brand new and shiny tank for a skuffed up one, and you'd probably never get your clean one back.

Some great replies so far, and a lot to think about. I do have a keezer setup already, and so far only plan on using picnic line until I build a skirt for my keezer. I suppose if 5' of serving line isn't enough, I can always replace it later once I have the line in-hand and can get an accurate size for it.

I only plan on having one beer on tap at a time, at least until I save up for a 2nd keg system, so I think pin-lock will work fine for now as it seems to be the most affordable option at the moment (working with approx. $200).

I do have a local place in town that will fill CO2 tanks, so I will get to keep my shiny new tank to myself.

In case you have not noticed that is a 20 ounce paintball tank; I would not purchase that. If you are not in a hurry you can purchase used/better equipment cheaper, check out CL or the HBT for sale threads.

In case you have not noticed that is a 20 ounce paintball tank; I would not purchase that. If you are not in a hurry you can purchase used/better equipment cheaper, check out CL or the HBT for sale threads.

I agree, at minimum you should have a 5 lb tank. 20 ounce will just not last long enough and it will probably cost almost the same as a 5 lb tank to refill.

I have a similar system thru AIH. I got the smaller paintball tank and 2.5 gallon ball lock kegs due to space issues. I also prime in the keg with corn sugar and just use the CO2 to push the beer. I can push about 5 kegs (2.5 gallon kegs) on one tank. The whole thing fits in my fridge (took out one shelf and made a half shelf to takes it's place). Works well for my situation but my situation is unique. Also 2.5 gallons lasts me about 3-4 weeks which is about how often I brew.

http://www.kegconnection.com/1-faucet-basic-homebrew-kegerator-kit/

Keg Connection was one of the recommended names I saw around here quite a bit, and their systems can be a bit cheaper. Personally, I ended up going with a Ball lock system with everything purchased from my LBHS. I ended up spending probably 30 or 40 dollars more than this place, but I got to support my local store. I realize this may not be an option for you, but my point was to state that the prices are reasonable at these online retailers. Like with the posts above, I would personally get the 5lb tank, but I suppose that may depend on your end goals. I went from no kegs to 4 kegs practically overnight, and I went with two 5lb tanks so I don't have to worry about running low.

I just recently set up my keg system, and have searched around a lot.

I agree with this not being such a great deal, mainly because of the 20oz tank. You will not be happy with that.

Check this site out. They seem to be very reasonably priced, and I dealt with them over an issue with one of my relief valves and they were great to work with, and quickly made everything right.

cornykeg.com

Also, All the kits I have found have beer lines that are too short, and too large. Mine came with about 4 or 5 feet of 1/4" ID tubing. I constantly had to drop pressure to 3-5psi to pour a beer, then set it back at 12psi to keep the carbonation.

If I were to do it again, I would price out my own "kit" and either buy that, or just buy the kit, and make sure to buy 10-12 feet of 3/16" tubing.

One other word of warning.

My kit came with the slightly cheaper white gas ball lock connectors, and any slight sideways pressure would allow co2 to leak profusely. After cleaning the posts and poppits, and keg lubing everything, I finally upgraded to the CM Becker connectors from AIH, and I can't get these ones to leak if I try.

There was only about $1 difference in price, and the cheaper ones leaked on every keg I have.

A 20 oz tank is about what you need to carb and serve one keg. That's not so bad but a much bigger tank is better for a kegerator. 20 oz tanks are nice when your moving them around a lot.

Ok, for some reason, this got me interested in pricing this stuff out again.

on cornykeg.com, I filled a shopping cart with

Genuine Pepsi Used Ball Lock Keg
New 5lb aluminum co2 tank
Dual Guage Regulator
4 hose clamps
12' of 3/16" Beer Line
5' of 1/4" Tubing (for co2)
Picnic Tap
Total Cost - $187.26

CM Becker Gas and Beer Disconnects from AIH (barbed)
$11.98

Total Kit - $199.24

(Kit sold on cornykeg.com is $199.95 with the less desirable hoses and disconnects)

Possible savings:
$20 less to go with used steel 5lb co2 tank.

$5 or $10 less to go with "converted" ball lock kegs (pin lock size kegs with ball lock conversion. 5 without manual pressure relief valve, and 10 with PRV.)

$19.48 less to go with actual pin lock keg and disconnects. (disconnects would be from cornykeg in this case)

--------------------------------

That's all I got right now. It's the best pricing I found while searching obsessively. I could be wrong though.

Another thing I would probably do different if I were to start over, would be to set it up with MFL threaded fittings instead of barbs and hose clamps.
Not a big deal if it's always gonna stay in the same place, with the same length beer lines, but it would be nice to be able to switch things around or go portable.

Latest posts

Back