Vomit aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbrah

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :ban:

I have an extract vanilla porter from Adventures in Homebrewing going. My boil went great, cooled to pitch temp in under 30 minutes, and original gravity was 1.044. Pitched rehydrated Safale 4 yeast it fermented in primary for about 10 days and final gravity was 1.0. 5.7% I tasted it and it was fine.

I then transferred it to clean and sanitized secondary and added the vanilla beans. While cleaning the yeast cake from the bottom of my fermenter I did get a vomit smell but no taste. However, I let it go for 8 days in secondary and decided to bottle. While transferring to by bottling bucket I stole a taste and it has an awesome flavor, but a slight vomit after taste. :(

Even with this flavor I bottled with 5oz of priming sugar and now have my bottles conditioning. So, my question is, will this flavor grow stronger in the bottle? Or dissipate while conditioning?

Thanks for helping me out! :tank:

Beer puke is different than pizza puke - or humus puke. If your yeast cake smells a bit like what you spew after drinking 18 beers you should not fear the yeast stink. IMHO

it is not the smell I am worried about...it is the slight vomit after taste my friend.

Thats what my thought was. The FG was supposed to be 1.014 to give it around 4% APV. Was my yeast over productive?

Thats what my thought was. The FG was supposed to be 1.014 to give it around 4% APV. Was my yeast over productive?

Like Yooper said, you probably have an infection. All of my Brett beers get down to 1.003-1.000 but not regular saccharomyces yeast.

I just racked that kit myself this weekend. My FG was 1.010 - pretty low for me as most of my extract kits seem to finish around 1.015 or so. It was pretty dry tasting, but had good flavor and aroma. I plan on bottling next weekend. I hope I don't get the same thing you had. Did you do anything to your vanilla beans before racking on top of them? I cut them up like the directions stated and also had them in vodka for a day or two prior to racking.

I'm skeptical as to whether a porter can get down to 1.000. Unless you used Bean-o or something, you may be taking a wrong measurement. Or maybe there's an infection.

Like Yooper said, you probably have an infection. All of my Brett beers get down to 1.003-1.000 but not regular saccharomyces yeast.

If there were an infection, there would be signs of infection. I do get a slight vomit after taste but not over powering at all.

I just racked that kit myself this weekend. My FG was 1.010 - pretty low for me as most of my extract kits seem to finish around 1.015 or so. It was pretty dry tasting, but had good flavor and aroma. I plan on bottling next weekend. I hope I don't get the same thing you had. Did you do anything to your vanilla beans before racking on top of them? I cut them up like the directions stated and also had them in vodka for a day or two prior to racking.

yeah I soaked mine in whiskey

I'm skeptical as to whether a porter can get down to 1.000. Unless you used Bean-o or something, you may be taking a wrong measurement. Or maybe there's an infection.

Wouldn't an infection give a stronger taste then what I am getting? I am not geeting any off flavor up front, in fact it tastes great. Just once it is swallowed and after 2-3 seconds I get a slight vomit flavor.

My final gravity was 1.000

That's really abnormal, and is a sign of an infection.

If there were an infection, there would be signs of infection. I do get a slight vomit after taste but not over powering at all.

Well, if you don't think "vomit" is a sign of something bad, then it's all good.

It's a sign of butryic acid. It's a sign of contamination by bacteria, anaerobic bacteria to be a bit more precise.

The flavor is a sign of infection. Another sign is the ultra-low FG. Brewer's yeast would struggle with an all-malt beer to get to under about 1.007 or 1.008. If it's at 1.000, that is another big sign of infection.

If it tastes ok, then drink it up because it will get much worse with some time.

Well, if you don't think "vomit" is a sign of something bad, then it's all good.

It's a sign of butryic acid. It's a sign of contamination by bacteria, anaerobic bacteria to be a bit more precise.

The flavor is a sign of infection. Another sign is the ultra-low FG. Brewer's yeast would struggle with an all-malt beer to get to under about 1.007 or 1.008. If it's at 1.000, that is another big sign of infection.

If it tastes ok, then drink it up because it will get much worse with some time.

What would have casued this? I was very clean in my process. I did do some research about low gravity reading and its doe to low airation. I only shook my fermenter for about 3 minutes...would this be the reason for it...maybe?

Butyric acid....you have my condolences. I lost a Hefeweizen to that once. I drank some but gave up on it eventually. Nasty stuff.

For me, re pitched yeast and plastic

Butyric acid....you have my condolences. I lost a Hefeweizen to that once. I drank some but gave up on it eventually. Nasty stuff.

For me, re pitched yeast and plastic

Glass 6 gallon primary, glass 5 gallon secondary. The little that I tasted was starting to suck up some of the secondary fallout, could that give me a vomit taste...or maybe I might be misinterpreting the flavor.

I was not tasting vomit at all, it was the taste of the yeast. I gues it has been a while since I have throw up so I forgot the taste of vomit. However, I am still working on my beer flavor pallet.

Thanks for all your help and my beer turned out wonderful

'Vomit Vanilla Porter' ... would look nice sitting next to 'Horse Piss Beer' that the Alltech Brewery here in KY put out a few years ago. (btw, it didn't taste like piss...just nasty)

I agree with Yooper. Beer yeast just doesn't go down to 1.000. Sounds like a bug to me.

'Vomit Vanilla Porter' ... would look nice sitting next to 'Horse Piss Beer' that the Alltech Brewery here in KY put out a few years ago. (btw, it didn't taste like piss...just nasty)

I agree with Yooper. Beer yeast just doesn't go down to 1.000. Sounds like a bug to me.

I think my hydrometer was off, my beer turned out just fine. I had a stronger roast flavor than what I expected. however, the vinilla balanced it out nicely.

Not surprised to read this, there is a local brewery that makes a vanilla porter that I always get a vomit aftertaste from...

I think my hydrometer was off, my beer turned out just fine. I had a stronger roast flavor than what I expected. however, the vinilla balanced it out nicely.

Awesome! Now that you've ruled out an infection I would age it out a little while. If the roast is a little too harsh it will mellow out with time. I did a coffee stout a few months ago that tasted like straight black coffee at first but now it's quite nice.

Back